Recommended first turntable?

I'm in need of a turntable! I've never owned one and don't have a very large record collection yet, so I'm not keen on spending more than say...$250. The turntables that people recommend to me (ie Rega, Thorens, Ariston) all seem very pricy in the used market.

For those of you who helped with my amp search, I finally got a Parasound HCA-1000A and its matching pre-amp, the P/HP-850.

Thanks!
128x128ledhed2222

Showing 12 responses by ledhed2222

Tvad, what about the TD 180, is it good? Also, how does a used Thorens compare with a new Rega P1? Finally, how can I be sure that a used turntable is in good condition? I had no problems buying my amp used, but what about a turntable? Thanks, and sorry to ask so many questions.
All of your info is helpful; I appreciate it! What do you think of Grado cartridges? My preamp has an MM input (but not MC) so I was leaning towards Grado. As far as the argument of "elitist audiophiles" vs. "regular guys", I don't much care at the moment! As a college kid, I don't have $1000 to spend and I know for sure that a $250 set-up won't be so bad that I disregard vinyl forever. I'm not going to wait five years just to hear the records I've inherited! Regardless, thanks for everyone's input, it's all welcome.
I didn't realize that turntables have to be set up. Where can I find more information on set up and maintenance?
Sorry, I had more to say. What the story with cleaning records? Sounds like a good idea to me, does it require any special or expensive equipment?
I was originally thinking of getting a used table, but after reading some of the posts here I realize that turntables are awfully fragile. I'm worried that I might get a used table and find that it's in bad shape. So now I'm thinking new. So I'm looking at the following tables, what do you think and what others should I look at?

Pro-ject Debut III
Rega P1
Sorry, here's the full list:

Pro-ject Debut III
Rega P1
Goldring GR 1.2
Music Hall MMF 2.1
Audio Technica PL-120
Thorens TD-158

The Dual that's for sale here on Audiogon is looking pretty nice too...I'm just worried that it would arrive damaged.
Sigh, ANOTHER question. What do you all think of Systemdek turntables, especially the IIx? I've heard that parts for this table are hard or even impossible to find, and that turns me off.
I've heard about Audio Note and I'd love to get one, unfortunately the TT1 starts at about $950! I can't justify spending that much on my first turntable.
Pedrillo and Piedpiper,

I understand and appreciate your point, but at $300 I'm already spending a lot for me. If I can find a used P3 or a VPI for around that price, great! But entry level is not $700. Otherwise, it really doesn't make sense to splurge; I have maybe 20 records. As far as a phono stage goes, I won't get one yet. My pre-amp has a MM input and I plan on getting a decent MM cartridge. I've never listened to vinyl on better than a mass-market table and I still prefer it. While expensive tables probably will sound better, it's just overkill for my needs.