LO MCs carts with RM-9/Shindo pre?

I'm a relative vinyl newbie currently running a Pro-ject RM-9 with a Blackbird. Rest of the system is a Shindo Monbrison, (usually, now) Fi 45 monos, and Lamhorns.

I am captivated with this sound and have no reason to change anything, but am interested in trying MC carts. I would like some advice on what would be worthwhile to try with the RM-9 and the Shindo (which has a tranny MC stage). Other than the Koestsu Black, I have nothing else in mind at this point (and I don't know if this cart is a good fit with the Monbrison or not).

As I said, no weaknesses to the system, but if I could nit anything I would say that the bass is a bit round. It's not with CD, so I know it's the analog front-end. Just a might pudgier than I'd prefer (but only on some stuff - Village Vanguard is one, and the CD version is tighter). Also, while very detailed and dynamic, it's not the last word in microdynamics. The microdynamic nuance is what mainly has me interested in MC carts.

If there is anybody that thinks it's not worth it for me to try MC I'd like to hear that too. I've never heard any MC cart, much less a good one.

Budget is around $1200 used max (not sure if I'd buy used or not either).

Paul Folbrecht
Norvinz Field Rep
paulfolbrecht
Paul, I believe the arm/cartridge match is the most critical, assuming your phono stage provides adequate gain. I would start by finding a list of cartridges that are compatible with your Pro-ject arm, then narrow that list down based on your Shindo match.
Paul,excellent choice of electronics for your Lamhorns
However I dont believe a low output cartridge by itself will
will get you to where you want to go.A better TT can help with bass presentation.Naturally the arm will play a big part in your cartridge selection.The Pro-ject arm can not support nor do justice to a SPU.Also without knowing the gain of your
of your tranny or of any load adjustments you can make it is very hard to make any suggestion.Again,your electronics and speakers are top notch and can give you much more with a improved front end.Good luck in your quest.
The Denon will most definitely compete with the Blackbird in the right arm and with the right step-up.
Paul,

You really need to find out, perhaps from the Shindo ditributor/dealer, the electrical characteristics of the step up transformer. Unless the step up transformer has multiple windings and taps, it really will be optimized for only cartridges with a particular coil impedance and the need for a particular amount of gain from the transformer.

If I recall correctly, there is a Shindo preamp that has a step up transformer optimized for the Ortofon SPU. I think this is a low output cartridge with a very low impedance. Low output cartridges usually have fewer windings (hence the low output) which also means low impedance, so this combination is not unusual.

Whatever the case may be, you do need to some matching to the transformer to get best results.