How often do you listen to live music?

I feel that the constant tuning of our ears to a live musical event, no matter what kind of music ( except perhaps to heavy metal at close quarters for health reasons) is essential for an audiophile to rightly assess his and other systems. I myself try to go to a concert at least three to four times a month. How about my fellow audiophiles out there? And especially how about our panel of experts? Albert, Sean et al ??
detlof
abstract 7

I've been catching the Jazzfest since 86
A wonderful two weekends of music and great music in all the clubs those weeks. It's getting a little too big these days with the big headlining acts, but still a great time, and the food -
Detloff, I find it funny that it would take each of us about the same amount of time to get to Vienna to hear the VPO, although it would cost you a little less! Actually, I'm going to be there next June for a private concert in a nearby castle, so I'll probably exceed my 3/month quota while out there. Abstract7, I heard your orchestra under Maestro Zinmann, if it's even better now I've got to take the 3-hour drive down I-95 to attend a concert or two!
Detlof, the opening sentence of your post is IMO one of the most important, if not the most important consideration for an audiophile who is truly serious about becoming a more astute and sophisticated listener. Well said; I particularly appreciated your "no matter what kind of music" comment. Bravo! Many audiophiles try to ignore this reality, but there is no getting around this fact.

I have ranted and raved about this issue several times in previous threads so I know that this is a sensitive issue for some. So, to set the record straight, I will also say that this reality does not imply that any given audiophile, who for whatever reason can't or won't attend live performances, can not be a good, critical, or appreciative listener. Or that a person who does, is necessarily one of extraordinary listening ability. It does mean that without this kind of exposure, a listener (audiophile) can not achieve the highest level of ability to discern the finest and most subtle nuances that music is full of, or to be a good judge of what "accuracy" in sound reproduction really is.

I listen to live music, on average, at least twenty hours a week; not counting personal practice time (about that much over again). I am a professional musician.

Check out "The Fifth Element" by John Marks, in the current (September) issue of Stereophile. One of the finest pieces that I have ever seen in that mag. Happy listening and thank you for bringing up this subject again.
detlof: i average maybe 3 concerts/performances per month. tho i'm about your age, most of the concerts i attend are in the rock genre. the symphonic concert hall in denver is, unfortunately, modeled after berlin's auditorium-in-the-round. the acoustics drive me nuts, which is my excuse for abstaining from most classical performances. i do, BTW, sing in the shower most every day. does that count? -kelly