tubes and analog

I just "upgraded" from a Mac SS integrated to a Prima luna dialogue 2 tube amp. The reason that I changed amps was that i assumed that the tube amp would be a better match for my Zu Druid speakers. The amp change was a big improvment for listening through my CDP....but not so when listening to my Rega P9. I had to switch to my spare SS phono stage (Graham slee) to get it to sound right. I was using a tube phono (AES) with my Mac. In Short, my tube amp with SS phono stage is not really an upgrade from my Mac with Tube phono stage. My question is.....should i consider a further upgrade to a better tube phono pre or is it simply that a change from SS to Tube amp is more "pronounced" in digital playback?
csmithbarc
Tubes are able to retrieve greater detail than transistors and they sound more relaxed. Once detail is lost it cannot be retrieved downstream. So consider a tube phono section.
is an adjustable loading phono stage only important for future flexibilty in cart changes?
Adjustabilty is useful, but in practice, a gain of 60 to 65 with most phono stages will cover most MC cartridges, except the very low .2mv of a few cartridges. That is'nt to say greater adjustabilty is'nt useful, but it is costly and may compromise performance. I too like tubes in phono stages, but you have to accept they are slightly noisier and a gain of 60 is about what you can achieve with tubes. One way round this is a tube/SS hybrid, such as the Art Vinyl reference a J Fet/tube hybrid with Lundahl transformers for MC gain. It is a lovely phono stage giving the best of both worlds IMHO
Adjustable for MC only.. MM I believe you will have one option, 47kohms… So yes if you decide to go with a better MC cart over the Rega you have which I assume is MM then it would be important. For MC you have several loading options to optimize the sound. I am guessing the stage you have now is MM only, if it is MC too I would assume it has some loading options for you already. I am not familure with the equipment you have, other Analog guys could help you out further. I think the AES is MM only?
Dear Atmasphere: +++++ " Tubes are able to retrieve greater detail than transistors and they sound more relaxed. " +++++

IMHO this statement is a little out of reality/true. The design in the audio device is critical for the sound reproduction and from that design ( it does not matters tube or SS ) we can achieve more or less " to retrieve greater detail....relaxed " sound.

I know very well your units but I would not exhibit any of your products.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.