Teres, redpoint or galibier turntable

I would like to upgrade my basis 2000 turntable.I am considering either upgrading to the basis 2200 table or trying one of the above three tables. I would also consider the new VPI aries three table. Which of the above would you recommend. I would like to keep the cost of the table only to 5000 dollars or less. Thanks for responding
gcj123
Returning to the original poster's request for turntable recommendations, I can offer a couple of comments. Trying to audition turntables can be next to impossible, and very few folks will ever have the opportunity to try different tables of this caliber in their own home prior to making a purchase decision. Plus it always seems that satisfied purchasers are quick to endorse their own table. That suggests that there are many paths to turntable satisfaction, and maybe you can't go wrong with any of the options that the OP has to choose from. Perhaps they are all great tables.

Having said that, being a satisfied Galibier owner myself, I would recommend that you get a Galibier Gavia. It does exceed your $5000 budget, but if there is any flexibility I would go for the greater investment to get the Gavia. Thom Mackris put a lot of effort in developing the graphite top for the current Gavia platter, and the improvement in sound quality it makes is nothing short of amazing. It is easily worth the extra money.

I consider my Gavia a "final" turntable, one which should more than meet my needs for the rest of my listening days. It sounds great, it is 100% reliable, and it doesn't have finicky adjustments. It is a mature design where the kinks have already been worked out.

I can't say how the Galibier Gavia compares sonically to a Teres or Redpoint, since I have not seen, much less heard, either one. For whatever it is worth, I have heard several Platine Verdier tables and a Walker on several occasions, and nothing I heard suggested that either of them sounds better than the Galibier with Triplanar arm. Of course, system setup and system synergies are always critical factors regardless of the turntable choice.

Good luck in your decision.

Dave
I have been looking into replacing my aeries and have done a lot of reading on different turntables.

It looks like Galibier tables went up in price. I think that the Gavia is one to consider. Looking into the Teres line the new to be released 260 model most definitely looks to be highly considered. And the price seems acceptable.

I know what a belt drive table is all about but the new Verus direct drive system is a unknown to me.

Redpoint tables may be out of my price range.

Any comments on these tables is welcome. I did not want to start another thread as this one says it all.

In the 6 months since last post i am hoping for some updated info

thanks all
I am very happy with my galibier gavia. Mine has a gavia platter but you can probably get a serac platter and cut some of the cost. Thom is great to work with and I don't plan on ever buying another turntable.
Mothra: welcome to the club! I consider my Galibier Quattro purchase of a few years ago, to be one of my most prudent, and like you, it will be my last tt. One that will be passed along to my Audiophile son.

Thom was quite helpful before the sale, but more importantly, he was there to hold my hand (so to speak) when I was setting up the table (it was my first tt setup since the 70’s).

Thereafter, he has been more than helpful. Late last year, while conducting business here in Indiana, Thom graciously stopped by with a DIY tweak for my tonearm, confirmed that my setup was quite accurate, and helped fine tune anti-skate, and VTA.

So if you liked the sales support before the sale, you will get the same or better afterwards.

For example, Thom is incorporating upgrades for those of us with previous models. He designed and manufactured a trial / test graphite top plate/matt which to a high degree, replicates the finished product. I just returned the plate a week or so ago. Its effect on the sonics was more than subtle, and I plan on getting the upgrade.

Enjoy your new table....

Mike
I am considering replacing my VPI Aries 2 extended/JMW12.5 arm with a Galibier Serac TT/Artisan arm. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. I do notice that you don't see Galibier turntables come up for sale on the used market.