tonearm match ZYX Universe Moerch and Triplanar

I decided to take a much bigger analog plunge

I'm working with Mehran on a tonearm for a Zyx Universe
between the Moerch DP6 and Triplanar VII. Mehran is really great - a true audiophile gentleman.

the precise dial in setup of the triplanar interested me (particularly because I am a relative neophyte at this) but it's a bit more expense.

I currently have a Nottingham Spacedeck which I'll eventually upgrade from but the Moerch drops directly into the Spacedeck mount and others here tell me the Notts match well with the Moerch.

Can anyone commment on the synergy of these two with the Universe? later flexibility with other tables? any other helpful jewels of knowledge would be greatly appreciated (I don't want to limit myself like with the Spacedeck).

My listening preferences lean more toward correct tonal balance and engaging dynamics over ultra hi resolution. I listen to a lot of jazz, acoustic and rock music.

thanks

Tom
128x128audiotomb
What is that? A ringy Tone in M_A_N_Y Arms?
The ZYX can have a ringy tone in many arms. It is not that the arm is bad. It is that the match is bad.
I what Arms? Please write? I would like to know that. I used Zyx in Graham 2.2/Phantom/Triplanar/DaVinci/AirLine/Well Tempered Ref. and I didn't find such a Result. I am glad, I have it, it is the most universal cartridge for nearly all Arms I ever owned (or own). I have never found an Arm where I heard your "Result". Even in a very heavy Ikeda Arm it works great.
I think I have to agree with Thomas.Any "ringy" response is usually a mismatch,in the "tracking chain".Unless one has a tube pre/phonostage,with a bad tube.
In the set-up I heard,which had the ZYX Universe,there was a slight sibilence,and subtle loos of bass response,but this could have easily been the improper anti-skate setting.
All in all,though,the Universe still gave an exemplary performance,and clearly stood out as a "Very Special" product.
Best!
Hi All,

I'd take my existing budget, pick up the Triplanar from Mehran and spend whatever is left on the cartridge. If this means backing off on the Universe for 6 months or a year, it is still the right decision.

A cartridge is a consumable item, whereas if you purchase a Triplanar, Schröder, SME, Breuer, etc. you could easily be happy for the rest of your life. With these arms, there are subtle differences, and I'm sure you'd prefer one over the other if you heard them all.

I can't predict which of these arms you'd fall in love with, as your tastes as well as turntable would have a large effect on your opinion. The Moerch is a very fine tonearm but it is not quite in the league of the aforementioned arms, and I can't imagine your picking ahead of any of them. This is not merely about the Triplanar's adjustability - it's about the Triplanar's superior sonics.

I have no vested interest in this, other than to have one of Mehran's customers make the right decision.

I've posted fairly recently in this forum on the turntable setup hierarchy ('table, then arm, then cartridge). You can click this link for one of my rants on this forum if you're interested.

The second half of the post addresses the hierarchy. The first half is a bit ... off the wall. Guilty as charged.

Cheers,
Thom @ Galibier
The ZYX Universe has very extended treble response. More than most cartridges. This is a good thing but on some LPs can be excesive & bright. In addition, it can be excited on some arms depending on VTA and VTF. If you feel I should readjust VTA & VTF for each record I am against such procedures. If the arm is not damped enough it can excite the Universe. Thomas, if you tell me the Universe is good in all the arms you tried yours is different than mine and a few others that I have been given feedback of. Also, then you have the truly perfect cartridge for any arm. In my opinion the damping and control of the arm is important in determining the ringing of of the cartridge. I would suggest you read responses on this forum of the Universe match well or not w. the Graham 2.2.. In addition, I think the Ikeda does not allow the ZYX to image at its best. The Schroder is the best of most world but not all but on most LPs. There is no absolute.
thom

funny you should mention moving up to the triplanar and table first arm second cartridge third
because I was looking at just that in the last few days

I was initially set on getting a triplanar but was informed it was like putting racing tires on a cadillac with my spacedeck - hence the Moerch option

the triplanar's adjustible vta was very alluring to me, and a key factor is synergy. Ithought it would match well will the ZYX

since I was already making major upgrades to phono pre, cartridge and arm I decided not to let the table or arm be the limiting factor

I am considering the Amazon Model One
those who use it with the tripanar have very good synergy