New Maplenoll Ariadne owner needing advice

I have recently purchased a maplenoll ariadne. I have tried to learn a little about the table but find very little information. I know the table was discontinued in the 90's but the little i have found indicated it is a very good table. I am interested to learn if there are any tricks or problems to optimizing this table. As most of you probably know, it is an air bearing platter and tonearm. I plan on putting my zxy airy 3 on the arm once I get it set up.
oilmanmojo
Brian is right about the superquiet pumps used with the original maplenoll. It is a "lube" oil, most likely Mobil one or equivalent. I do not like this set up because the refrigeration compressor does heat up and entrain oil throughout the system. This is also one of the reasons some maplenolls put a burnt oil smell into your listening room. if you are going to repair the existing pump. I would recommend draining and replacing the oil with a modern synthetic oil or true compressor oil Most of these are odorless and are more stable to heat.

Again he is right on point about the arm. It likes clean, smooth flowing air. I also recommend flushing the airbearing sleeve with isopropyl alcohol to clean out the ports if you are having any sticking problems

I like the concept of the oil-less compressors but the two i tried (not the one Brian recommended)were just too loud for my taste.

Finally to Markim, I am traveling today, but if you are looking for the belt measurement, i will post tommorrow once i return. I have the signature set up and can get that measurement pretty quickly for you
Oilman: LOL, The nice thing about a wife's sewing room is that the buzz of an oil less rotary vane pump is quiter than the sewing machine. :) I have a very understanding wife.

Which Junaire model did use and do you have any specs? CFM @ PSI, etc?

You are spot on with the oil smell and the need to flush that sticky mess from your air bearings and air line with isopropyl. Cleanliness is essential. I'd recommend installing new air line after flushing the bearings and making new "scuds" with PVC tubing or buy a couple of 5 gallon paint pots, or those 5 gallon air tanks without the compressor that youy can buy at O'Reillys or the Pepe Boys for $30 each.

My friend Jack bought his Signature from Mark Schneider at Music Direct. He had a plastics fabricator build him a plexiglass cover which covers the entire table, arm and all, so that his arm tube doesn't get any dust on it, while not in use. Probably not a bad idea.
Jun Air has got several models including an oil less pump. I chose the 6-15 model because of the low noise threshold (40 db), pressure 125psig (found my air really likes 40 psig) and the pressure regulation/surge tank. The volume it produces is about 37 cfm, far more than needed but this means the unit only runs maybe 30% of the time. The pressure regulation off the surge tank is very good with no noticeable drop in pressure when machine is not running. This particular model is used by i believe Pluto electronics on their airbearing table.

I have cleaned the damping tubes and replaced with new fiber and replaced air lines as part of my compressor change out. Jun Air uses a compressor oil that is odorless and does not flash over during operation to any extent. Condensed water is a bigger problem due to the humidity

good tip on the cover, i really need to get one.

good luck baranyi, keep us informed on your progress. Love to share ideas about these great tables
I also bought the highest quality regulators that I could find, with the thought that less regulator flutter would equate to less air pulsation. I discarded the PVC plastic "scuds" with air tanks, one large 15 gallon tank back where I store the air pump and the other, a new 5 gallon "airpot" just behind the turntable stand. I'd also purchased the best quality water seperators and dessicant driers at the output of each tank, too.

One warning: with 15 gallons of airtank storage, you'll need to turn on your air compressor 5 or 10 minutes before listening, but the extra storage area made an audible difference.

Oilman: 37 cfm? That thing must be the size of a car. :)