Best sounding phono preamp under $600

I am presently using a Jolida JD-9 with a Pro-ject RM-5 turntable and Ortofon X5-MC cartridge and am looking for opinions on solid state phono preamps that cost $600 or less. The rest of the system consists of the Qinpu integrated amp and Buggtussel Somu floorstanding speakers. Would appreciate any advice on the subject. Thanks, Bob
bobgates
Mingles: Not that I've heard it either way, but the Phonomena has an optional outboard power supply upgrade available, which as I recall Michael Fremer felt took the performance up significantly. (If I remember correctly, I believe he wasn't as impressed with the unit in its price range without this upgrade, but felt it became competitive at twice the price once the PS was installed. You might want to look up the original reviews.)
Thanks Mark; I obviously was not quite awake early this morning when I read your comments. I will definately check out the Musical Surroundings Phonomena and the Denon 103R cartridge. Was hoping to be able to stick with high output moving coils but can go either way since the Jolida has outputs for both high and low output cartridges.
Forgot to ask Mark if you are running the battery powered version of the Musical Surroundings Phonomena.
Hi Bob,
re the Musical Fidelity - I ran one of these for years, added the X-PSU and was stunned by the difference.
Asked long and hard on here re thoughts on Phonomena vs. Camelot - varied opinions as one would expect.
Just occured that buying a stage that has the option of a power supply upgrade at a future date has to be a sensible idea as every time I have went this route, the improvements far out stripped my expectations.
I think any review you read be it Musical Fidelity, Musical Surroundings, Channel Islands, Creek and all, will say the same thing.
Happy Trails
Simon
Simon - thanks for your comments; there's obviously several good phono preamps in the $600 range and lots of opinions on which one is the best. I've seen the Musical Surroundings Phonomena mentioned quite a bit and will probably give it a listen.