Best sounding phono preamp under $600

I am presently using a Jolida JD-9 with a Pro-ject RM-5 turntable and Ortofon X5-MC cartridge and am looking for opinions on solid state phono preamps that cost $600 or less. The rest of the system consists of the Qinpu integrated amp and Buggtussel Somu floorstanding speakers. Would appreciate any advice on the subject. Thanks, Bob
bobgates

Showing 4 responses by simon74

Hi Bob,

I've used a Creek OBH 15 and for the money it's nice but not in the same ball park as a used Camelot.
Creek & Clearaudio Basic - much the same not worth the extra for the Basic imo.
Clearaudio Basic Ltd - a really nice stage, crucifies P75 & most others in it's price range imo
I'd still say a used Lancelot or if you were really lucky a Quicksilver - not the dearest stage I've ownd by a long chalk but still my favourite!

Have to admit I'm not a solid state fan when it comes to phono stages but I could live with the Clearaudio Basic, Camelot and for the dosh , the Creek was surprisingly pleasant.

I find far to many people spend a shedload on the cartridge and then skimp on the stage, silly really as the cartridge wears out and in most instances the stage is not good enough to allow them to hear what the cartridge is doing, be it right or wrong.
Having had dozens with no complaints, I would buy a used stage of here and get a good deal up the ladder than buying new. Most in your price range will sell on for much the same price if you don't like them?

Rgds Simon
Hi Bob,
& physical animal.
Without going into mega detail which is only my view in any case - the Quicksilver just seemed to give the best approximation of 'real' music.
I listen to lots of live recordings and the Quicksilver was the one that had me pulling out albums for hours on end.
Paints a with a broad brushstroke but vocals,soundstage -width, height & depth and a nice solidity without being overly warm still makes it my favourite phonostage.
Sold it now as my Supratek has a built in pre so could not justify keeping it (her indoors on the case).
It is also a very quiet stage whether used alone with mm or used with the step up for lo mc.

It also, to my ears, does not have the grain/edge and un-natural dynamics of most of the ss designs I have tried.
Not saying valve wins every time as I enjoyed the Creek, Clearaudio Basic Ltd and Camelot very much, mainly because they manage to minimise my negatives about ss phonostages.
Even though I live in the UK , I got great service from Camelot and Quicksilver - never had any problems , only some queries and requests for advice. That fact that these were answered speedily and enthusiastically led me to believe both companies would address any problems with their gear as a matter of urgency - not always the caes in my experience.
I also found that some stages will give their best with a wide range of cartridges and some are very picky.
My favourites tend to be in the former camp .
Rgds Simon
Hi Bob,

I've had great results with Camelot Lancelot and Charm 11 psu. I've owned lots of ss phonostages and this is the nicest.Nice company to deal with as well. Would be in your budget bought used.
Hi Bob,
re the Musical Fidelity - I ran one of these for years, added the X-PSU and was stunned by the difference.
Asked long and hard on here re thoughts on Phonomena vs. Camelot - varied opinions as one would expect.
Just occured that buying a stage that has the option of a power supply upgrade at a future date has to be a sensible idea as every time I have went this route, the improvements far out stripped my expectations.
I think any review you read be it Musical Fidelity, Musical Surroundings, Channel Islands, Creek and all, will say the same thing.
Happy Trails
Simon