The best speaker you ever heard?

In my opinion, the speaker is by far the most important part of the audio system. After all, it is the only part you hear. OK, the other stuff really matters a lot, but without a great speaker... No go.

I am a bit 'speaker-obsessed' I guess, and now I am wondering: What are the best speakers you have ever heard, and what made them the best?
njonker
in all areas of life, there is no best of anything.

there are too many variables, and some of them will be imprecisely measured, so that judgement is unreliable.

many speakers have been mentioned in this discussion.
it is therefore not possible to say what is best. the criteria used to judge vary with the person who is doing the judging.
it is a fruitless exercise. it is sufficient to like something and consider it a favorite without concern for its quality. as long as you like it, in this case the sound of a speaker, nothing else matters.

the notion of "best" is a philosophical argument which has no conclusion.
Post removed 
Mrtennis, I would generally agree with you regarding the notion of "the best" being somewhat vague when criteria cannot be quantified. Back in '72 I had the pleasure of witnessing Buddy Rich and his band in concert. Being a drummer myself I realized this man played drums on a different plane than anyone else. Every time he performed an incredible riff he would top it with something even more unimaginable 5 minutes later! Most drummers would consider him to be the best of all time. But again, what would the criteria for that be? Ear of the beholder sums it up fairly well.
Post removed 
if there is no best, because "best" does not exist in audio, then, i suppose the word "favorite" should be substituted. this is not a subtle distinction.

whenever the word best is used as a descriptor, it implies some standard for judging. for every judge, there could be a different standard, so the term best is subjective and is really one's favorite.

i believe there have been many threads in the past dealing with the subject of favorite component.

my point in all this is to suggest that "best" is a misued term that usually does not have much usefulness.

end of philosophizing.