Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
No idea, sorry. Just used the brass weight that was in Jean's kit, and I can't remove it easily now that the TT is back in place.
Forgot you said you used his kit. Thx anyway. I have figured out how to implement the string in the context of the PTP without drilling new holes. So I will (reluctantly) give this a try using small lead or brass weights. Does anyone know how much weight he (or she) used to achieve Nirvana?
I used 42 g - thats about 1.5 OZ. A guy on Lenco Heaven said that he tested the original spring pull at ~35g. My system is sounding amazing with this tweak in place + direct coupling and brass feet.

I was kind of dumbfounded at first - waiting for a downside that hasnt appeared.

Mike
I am still breaking in the Jeremy bearing plus clamp, so any improvement due to the string might be hard to decipher, if I added it at this point. I will do some listening to the Jeremy this weekend and then maybe do the string next week. But I will say that my Lenco already competes with, if not beats, some other expensive stuff I have lying around here, so I can only wonder at the superlatives I read above as regards the string and weight deal.
String Theory. The factory installed idler arm spring pulls the idler arm not only up toward the bottom of the platter but also exerts a force slightly biased toward the spindle side. I guess this is because the idler arm actually describes an arc with a radius equal to the distance from the rim of the idler wheel to the fulcrum of the idler arm. In replacing the spring with string, have you guys mimicked the angle of pull of the spring, or have you (or does Jean's kit) mount the string so that it pulls with a force in parallel to the rim of the idler wheel? Thanks.