Building high-end 'tables cheap at Home Despot II

“For those who want the moon but can't afford it or those who can afford it but like to have fun and work with their hands, I'm willing to give out a recipe for a true high-end 'table which is easy to do, and fun to make as sky's the limit on design/creativity! The cost of materials, including 'table, is roughly $200 (depending, more or less), and add to that a Rega tonearm. The results are astonishing. I'll even tell/show you how to make chipboard look like marble and fool and impress all your friends. If there's interest I'll get on with this project, if not, I'll just continue making them in my basement. The next one I make will have a Corian top and have a zebra stripe pattern! Fun! Any takers?”

The Lead in “Da Thread” as posted by Johnnantais - 2-01-04

Let the saga continue. Sail on, oh ships of Lenco!
mario_b
Long before Arthur got his hands on a Lenco, I was impressed with his website, postings, and his open approach to review equipment and/or music.
Honesty and integrity all the way.
Congrats to Jean!
I was asked on another forum to make a comparison between a commonly found commercial turntable and a Lenco tweaked by a marketeer, or a DIY Lenco. My response was that a turntable built by an enthusiast always trumps one built by a marketeer who only considers price points and profit margins. Everyone here knows that Jean and I have been at odds many times, but at the end of the day, I believe we are both about the music. That said, a lot of people in the audio business are not. Jean is, and I'm happy he he has found a reviewer who agrees. It's always nice when you are recognized by those who share your vision.

Win
06-26-10: Mosin
I was asked on another forum to make a comparison between a commonly found commercial turntable and a Lenco tweaked by a marketeer, or a DIY Lenco. My response was that a turntable built by an enthusiast always trumps one built by a marketeer who only considers price points and profit margins. Everyone here knows that Jean and I have been at odds many times, but at the end of the day, I believe we are both about the music. That said, a lot of people in the audio business are not. Jean is, and I'm happy he he has found a reviewer who agrees. It's always nice when you are recognized by those who share your vision.

Win, you mention being at odds with nantais. Was this relating to design theory, choice of materials, pricing? You mention that both nantais and yourself are "about the music". What is the current price for a Saskia turntable? I was informed that the price was well over $30,000.00. Since few music lovers could afford such a table as wonderful as it may be. one might consider your table more of a "lifestyle" product where the price is the product.
Dear MikeyC8, If your platter continues to spin for more than 4 hours after a manual push, see your doctor.

Dear Gouldglen, You are quite a gadfly. Win is one of the best guys in the business, and he knows full well that the cost of his masterpiece places it out of the reach of most of us. So what? Both Win and Jean are idealists and advanced hobbyists who took their passions beyond the basement level, and we all benefit from that, directly or indirectly.
Glen,

Any differences between Jean and I can be found by reading this thread.

As far as my pricing goes, consider my costs. I don't redo an existing turntable. Rather, it is a new design that uses a lot of exotic materials, involves a lot of time to make, requires travel and the help of specialized vendors. It's expensive, but I make no apologies because I'm trying to break new ground. Hopefully, something will come of it that will apply to more affordable turntables. Meanwhile, I continue down this path...seven years and counting.

Just so you know, I haven't made any money. Still, it's a passion.