packing a turntable for shipping

I have a Merrill Heirloom that I might be selling and was wondering what is the absolute bulletproof way to ship? I have no original boxes. I assume I would remove the inner LP hold-down hub and outer ring, remove and package the tonearm and cartridge separately and somehow 'lock' the unit's suspension system. Any ideas or experience?
128x128nimbus109
use an oversize box, all sides, bottom and top use carpet padding (several inches thick) and then insert the table in styrofoam on the sides bottom of the plinth, pack arm separately if possible, secure suspension and on top of platter place a 2" to 5" cardboard box or styrofoam if the arm is attached then pad with carpet padding. Avoid placing ANY packing material near the arm.Make sure table does not shift in the box- pray for the best
Yeah, a very oversized box with lots of foam peanuts or bubble wrap to protecting it. I've never packed that brand turntable.

On some classic Duals I have shipped, I always separate the heavy platter and the dust cover. Even separate shipping boxes can be a good idea if there are separate parts that could move around and damage the table.

See this packing link by Joel at The Turntable Factory..

http://www.theturntablefactory.com/packing.html
You're on the right track. I would suggest sending an email to Thom Mackris (same username, just hyphenate it) of Galibier fame. I believe he used to own that same table and I'm sure he has table shipping experience. :)

Best of luck,

Dan