LAST Record Preservative. Do you believe?

I am starting with this stuff on my cleanest most loved lps. How many people use it? Have you noticed longer preservation? I have read alot possible alterations in sound, but I think they must be quite subtle, if at all present.

Also, do you fill the syringe and apply to the applicator for each side, or just once for both sides?

Do you use the STYLAST, and if so, do you apply it before each side of an lp?
dolifant
Not a single record I own will get LAST put on it, short of a few used records I purchased with this stuff already applied. With record detail information as micro fine as it is in a groove why would you want to slather over it with a coating of anything? I have records that are more than fifty years old and have seen much play and the fidelity in them still shines though every time I spin them. My advice is invest in a good record cleaning machine, use it, and leave the magic potions aside. Cheers!
I totally agree with the above.
Also, it's important to make sure you never are using a worn out needle - that will trash your records.
Tracking force matters.
I used to use stylast and it did not seem to extend the life of the needle at all, contrary to their claim that it can do so 'up to ten times' as long.
The guys at musical surroundings - last time I heard - don't recommend stylast any more. The whole premise seems fishy anyway: how long could the stuff really stay on the needle given what's going on down there? I suspect the stylast is toast before the end of the first track - but what do I know...
I've used it but did not notice much difference either good or bad. So it is not part of my normal routine. The times I did use it I was careful to do a good rinse after the application and I do use a vacuum rcm.
I do not use it as a regimen. I have used it and I have records to which it has been applied by others. Of those to which it has been applied, some have received the application as many as 30 years ago and have been played MANY, MANY times. If it were going to do any damage, it would have done so by now. I do not think there is any question as to whether it is safe to use. It is. Whether it "preserves" the vinyl such that it will sound BETTER after repeated plays, say, 20 years down the road, I don't know for sure. I have LP's that have been treated with LAST that sound perfect after more than a hundred plays. I have records that have NOT been treated that sound great after more than a hundred plays. I have never tried putting it on one and not the other of the same LP and then playing them both for ten years to compare the difference. If anyone has THAT type of testing information, please share.

I do not use STYLAST but, instead, I use Record Research Labs #9. I've examined styli under the microscope before and after using this stuff and it works GREAT. OTOH, you have to be careful with respect to liquid stylus cleaners. Check with your cart manufacturer to be sure you are not dealing with a cantilever that might serve as a wick to suck up the liquid into the cartridge innards. Too, one has to be careful with "dry" cleaners and the ones where you lower the stylus down and lift up to, "VIOLA", remove gunk. Ask a few cartridge distributors and they will tell you that using such cleaners is the leading cause for cartridges to return for cantilever repair (next to cleaning women accidents, that is). :-)
4yanx experience mirrors my own.

I used to use LAST record cleaner and preservative back in the '80s for most of my records. (I probably used it for 5 or 6 years, and put it on at least a hundred records or so.) In the '90s I switched over to CDs (like most of us I imagine), and did not get back to my vinyl collection until 3 or 4 years ago when I bought a new TT and phono preamp. When I have played those records with the LAST preservative, I have found that they still sound great.

I now use a RCM, (Nitty Gritty 1.0) so I have not found the need to utilize the LAST products. However, based upon my past experience with them, I can recommend them if you don't have a RCM. (Personally, I think a RCM (even a cheap one) is the best alternative to cleaning your records. But if money is a concern, the LAST products are pretty good. If you do get a RCM, the RRL Super Vinyl Wash is very good, and I highly recommend it.)

As far as Stylast, I tried it, but did not really feel it did much. So I too now use RRL #9 as a stylus cleaner, and feel it does a good job. (I actually put the liquid on the brush, rather than on the stylus, in order to minimize the amount of liquid that goes onto the cantilever.)

My two cents worth.