Is Direct Drive Really Better?

I've been reading and hearing more and more about the superiority of direct drive because it drives the platter rather than dragging it along by belt. It actually makes some sense if you think about cars. Belt drives rely on momentum from a heavy platter to cruise through tight spots. Direct drive actually powers the platter. Opinions?
macrojack
Post removed 
It's not the "quartz-locking" timing reference that creates any problems in turntables.
It's the corrections that happen when the platter speed is determined to need "correcting".

Rhe method of "correcting" the speed requires alot of thought and engineering expertise. If corrections are done quickly, and using a light platter, then "flutter" occurs during the speed changes, as it tries to return the platter to proper speed. If corrections are done slowly, then it would be "wow" that occurs.

Certainly, there's nothing wrong with using the quartz-clocking mechanism for checking the platter speed as a reference.

Regarding quick speed changes with a light platter, as it regards stylus drag problems, often the heavily modulated passages which cause the stylus drag are relatively quick, and are over by the time the speed-control mechanism detects and make changes to compensate. This causes overcompensation, and then when this overcompensation is detected as too much speed, then it has to slow it down again. This is known as "hunting". Generally perceived as "flutter".

Regarding slow speed changes with a heavy platter, as it regards stylus drag problems, the inertia of the platter is great enough that it makes rapid speed changes impractical or impossible, so that most any changes needed to be made by the speed control must be slow, causing "wow".

So, it's not really the method of detecting the speed variations that are at issue, and many types of speed-monitoring technologies will work for this. It is how the engineer decides to go about the speed corrections that will make the difference of how we hear what happens when it is done.
My goodness TWL, get a shotgun if you want to go hunting. Linear quartz lock DD tables don't 'hunt'. They just PLAY records!

Zikes, I watch women's palms to see which ones are red. Vitality *is* a good thing to have...