Is Direct Drive Really Better?

I've been reading and hearing more and more about the superiority of direct drive because it drives the platter rather than dragging it along by belt. It actually makes some sense if you think about cars. Belt drives rely on momentum from a heavy platter to cruise through tight spots. Direct drive actually powers the platter. Opinions?
macrojack
Post removed 
CDs actually spin the same direction as LPs they just play from the inside out. But when you think about it, wouldn't it have been better if records played from the inside out? It would make a tonearm lift unneeded. The arm would just fall off the record when it got to the end.
likely not. equal perhaps. the goldmund was dd but at what cost? somehow i dont think the 1200 is nearly a goldmund nor an SP10.

aka hifitommy.
More like a series of jokes. Sort of like the turntable with the schtick shift. And I didn't get ole CW making a prediction. He came across to me as condescending, as if my question had no merit.
4yanx, as usual, provided a cogent observation. This time it was his comment about buzz. I have sensed for a while now that there is a definite revival of direct drive in the works and I was fishing with my question to see who, if anyone else, had the same sense. Seems like there are a few.