starting from just about scratch w/ $600 to spend

I'm just getting back into vinyl and currently have a old Technics TT, SL-1950, one corner proped up by CD's cause the foot is missing (I bought it for $15 at a tag sale) and a grado prestige red cartride with about 15 hrs on it.

I just bought a Bryston B60 int amp w/o the phono stage, so I def need to spend part of my money on that. My speakers are signet sl280ex.

So how much and what would you spend on TT/cart/phono pre. It looks like I can get entry level used MMF-5 or NAD 533 with cart for ~400, leaving $200 for phono stage. Are those $200 carts they come with really that much better than my grado?

Or should I buy a more stable vintage DD TT (with feet intact lol) for ~100, and spend the remaing $500 on cart and phono pre. ie, Are the cart and phono pre more important at the price points I'm looking at?

I can go a little over budget if it gets me considerable sound quality upgrade in return.

There seems to be quite a few budget phono pre's around, and I have no way of ABing them, so I could really use opinions on that.
sandman012
a vintage thorens 160,166,145,147 etc. will compete with turntables in the 2k range, and the build quality and appeal will outlast anything newer for 600 bucks.
In your price range, an extra $100 can buy you a lot more cartridge, but only a little more preamp. So don't sweat the preamp. (You can always upgrade it later.) In your shoes, I'd spend $100 on a preamp, and get the best table w/cartridge I could afford.

BTW, $400 for a used NAD 533? You can buy the same table new (the Goldring 1.2) for $300. Neither comes with a $200 cartridge. It's a $70 Goldring Elektra. It's pretty good, but there's always something better out there.
I agree with the vintage Thorens route, you can get a nice one totally set up for around $200-250, and then a used Bellari Rolls tube phono stage for just under $200 used. Then the rest of your budget can go to records or maybe a Nitty Gritty record cleaner. Have fun!
Do the Thorens require anymore tweaking/upkeep than a contemporary belt drive TT? Can any needle be fit to it?

There's a few on EBay.

My bad on the NAD table, used I've seen them used for $300. Haven't seen them new for $300. I just assume get a table w/o the cart, as my Grado Red (with little use) is at least just about as good as them.
The NAD 533 (or any Rega P2/P3 or clone) is not a bad start into vinyl. I would suggest a used one to keep costs down. There is lots of scope for upgrades that you can add as you get the finances therefore.

I do not know of any good phono in your range, but I will say try not to cut corners on the phono. The phono is really a key component in vinyl audio reproduction. Keep the Grado and put as much as you can afford into a phono.

I do not recommend going DD (or idler gear) on the TT and a number of posters will vilify me for this, but I have yet to hear one that can produce anything close to ‘hifi’.

Regards
Paul