Should I purchase an expensive phono preamp

I have a Nottingham Horizon TT with the Rega 250 arm and a Goldring 1000 series MM cartridge. This is hooked up to a Pioneer Elite VSX-99 AV receiver that has a built in phono stage. I am trying to improve on the phono stage but I am wondering if there will be diminishing returns going to the more expensive stages. I am considering Lehmann BC, Graham Slee Era Gold V and AcousTech PH-1. I listen to Jazz, Old School R&B and Classic Rock music mainly.
ejcpa
Well, I'd keep it under $200. That lets out even the Creek OBH-18 by $25. But there's the Parasound or Project Phono Box for $150/120 from Music Direct, or from Audio Advisor the little Bellari Rolls tube unit for $150 -- also doubles as a headphone amp, and will add the warmth of tubes to your (very very solid state) receiver.
You might want to look into modifying your RB250. Origin Live modifications to the arm make this piece a category killer that will improve sound defination, character, etc... . There are good sights on the internet where you can read about this. Also look into rewiring for the arm with something like Cardas. Check it out.
EJCPA
A very popular item on A'Gon which sells mopst often within a day is the EAR MM or MM/MC tube unit.Selling new from $1K to $1500 it sells used for $700-850.It allows experimentation with different NOS (New Old Stock) tubes.Another one in the range is the acoustech which won many awards and you have it on your list (none of my thoughts go above this.Other than a few like the $2800 Krell it seesm like the market gives choices up to $1500 than jumpos to $4K and over.At $1500 the Conrad Johnson tube unit is very warm and fine unit.Lower in price spectrum the Lehman Cube for $500 or so.The Graham Slee is an excellently reviewed line as well.But I am being a tube guy I might suiggest between Joilda who just came out with a tube unit at a killer price of $450.Too new for reviews but at price from a company known for good value I don't think you can't lose.I might have bought it but I have a table with an arm that allows for quick change of arm/cartidge so even though I am a tube guy (have an EAR intergated) I am going to get $1K PS Audio.Has flexiblity to change loads easily on back (many including expensive ones require you to open hood to change Dip switches).But also has volume (if you even wanted to go staright into an amp.Also allows for precise input matching geting gain higherst before distortion) as well as mono and phase button on front (not all LP's are made in absolute pahse so on some recordings can make big diference).Think it's a bargain at $1K.But in a hi end system (or any for that matter) the caretidge and phono section effect sound more than turntable and arm.If you step up from a reciever (as good as that one is) your going to have comesurate gear when you do.But in mean time it should sound much beter than the recievers stock unit.Tubes also rolling (changing) and that can be fun to experiment with.But your list of $1500 and less is pretty complete with excellent choices.After 3K hours or when bug bites write back about catridges and sperates or an intergared amp!Great thing about this hoby is you can never stop upgrading but there is a point where the retuirnbs diminish to the point where you don't HAVE to upgrade and can buy gobs of (now) overpriced original LP's on Ebay and get what has become too nutty on CD/SACD/DV-A and what ever new fangled replacement they come out with.
Have fun.
Chazzbo
I agree w/Nsgarch; the Bellari would be a cheap way to get a nice improvement.
Sit's suggestion of arm rewiring might be good, but I'm thinking same $ would be better spent on speaker or amp upgrade first. At lower end of the spectrum, speakers will make the biggest difference for the incremental investment. So many to choose from, but that's another thread. Cheers,
Spencer