How to set SRA after determining true vertical?

Here is a picture of a stylus with zero rake angle:

http://members.cox.net/nsgarch/SRA@%200.0%20deg.jpg

Since all modern styli are symmetrical in the x and y plane about the verical z axis, the tapered stylus and its reflection will make a perfect "X" when vertical (z axis perpendicular to the groove) and viewed from the side.

This condition is established by raising or lowering the tonearm pivot post. Once you find this point, and assuming you have a typical 9" tonearm (about 230 mm from pivot to stylus) then each 4 mm you raise the post from the zero
SRA point will apply one degrewe of SRA to the stylus.

A test setup is shown in these two pics:

http://members.cox.net/nsgarch/SRA%20setup1.jpg
http://members.cox.net/nsgarch/SRA%20setup2.jpg

Equipment includes:

a mini Mag-Lite flashlite,
a first surface mirror from old SLR cameras -- easy to find at photo repair shop)
a 50X pocket microscope
bean bags

Don't forget to first remove antiskate and set VTF.

128x128nsgarch
Dear Sirspeedy: Now that you mentioned there are very good compositions on the film soundtrack kind.
Zimmer, Horner, Williams, Newton Howard, Kloser, etc, etc, are very good ones.
Unfortunatelly almost all these kind of recordings were only in digital format, well not unfortunatelly: fortunatelly exist ! ! !.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,try to find some of the RCA "Classic Film Series" LP's.These are easily obtained,and not alot of money.There is fabulous music contained in the entire series,which is quite a few discs.GREAT STUFF,in gorgeous sound.These were pressed in both Great Britain(prefferable),and the U.S.(not quite as good as the British pressings,but fine,nevertheless)!!

Also,for some really fun stuff,in very good sound(for digital LP's),there is a series called "The Twilight Zone"!I believe there were four LP's released.I have the first two volumes.Wonderful composers,from Franz Waxman,to everyone popular in the fifties and sixties.Though the discs came out around 1981-1982.Plenty of Bernard Herman compositions were on the sound track as well.A real FIND if you search it out.Guaranteed to keep you from falling asleep,if you have become familiar with some of the TV series!!

All this stuff,will definitely provide superb fuel for the fine cartridges you love to write about.These discs contain beautiful music,wide "dramatic" dynamics,and superb timbres with lovely,subtle inner voicings that really seperate the finest of cartridges from oneanother.

Another GREAT LP,but scarce,is the soundtrack to the Bdwy play "Rashomon".On the Carlton label.Sonically this disc blows away the Twilight Zone discs,and they are not bad,at all.Recorded and pressed by U.S.Mercury,so I don't have to tell you how great the sound is.The music is INCREDIBLE,and will show off the "best",in a great cartridge,and system.Believe me,if you want to know how good your set-up is,this disc will tell you!Guaranteed!!

Worth seeking these discs out!

Best!
Wow, this thread is really full of important information. Related to this topic, I have recently heard of a “theory” from my friend that I have never heard before, and I am kind of skeptical about it. So, I think this is the place to find out the answer. Since I am a bit confused, please bear with me. His “theory” goes like this:

1, Due to the different cutting angles used by different labels (and the cutting lathe they used), Decca, EMI, etc., you will need different SRA/VTA to play the different labels of LP.

2, Different cartridge makers manufacture their cartridges with different build-in VTA (he said something like 20 degrees and 22 degrees). As such, to have a perfect playback, you need to match the cartridge (with it’s build-in VTA) to the record labels. For example, say an Ortofon, with 20 degrees build-in VTA, will fit the Decca, and another brand of cartridge, say a Clearaudio, with 22 degrees of build-in VTA, will fit the EMI etc.

3, As such, you’ll need at least 2 cartridges to ideally/accurately playback the different labels.

I am very skeptical of this “theory”, and I think this forum is the perfect place to ask whether there is any truth to it.

Thank in advance

Michael
Actually, it's a right theory carried to a ridiculous extreme.

A simpler solution is a tonearm with adjustable height. Then you can use any cartridge you like and play any record you like, while matching SRA.