It is frustrating.....

I'm an audiophile because I'm a music lover. Like most of the people on this site, I try cables, equipment, spikes, etc with one goal : to get the best out of 'canned' music, make it as close to life performance as possible. Knowing that 'perfect' reproduction is impossible, I go to live concerts as much as I can - on the average 10 classical music concerts, 2 ~ 3 operas, some jazz concerts per year.

Than it starts to become frustrating. Third time this year, I have left a concert at the break in Lincoln centre (NYC).

The acoustics : great, individual instruments : very palatable (!), no coloration, yadi yada yada...

Performance : miserable. No soul, no urge, no involvement from the orchestra... No pride in their work ?

Give me my 'miserable' listening room, 'coloring' cables, 'imperfect' equipment ... even a 'mono' CD - but a good, involving performance !

I'm not even talking about 'technical / mechanical' performance of the musicians - for me, technical brilliance is important, but secondary. It is the feel, interpretation, the 'soul' which is more important.

And the audience - horrible (see the thread 'cough vigilante). It is actually worse ... May be someday they will sell popcorn in the concert halls...

I have decided that I can save that $50/$60 per person / per concert, plus the trimmings, to buy 'canned' performances.

No wonder that the industry is complaining about less and less concert goers - they've just lost two.

Sorry for the rumblings.... I had to let some steam out...
ikarus
Sorry for the double post folks. Trouble with my log on. Sugarbrie, I could'nt agree with you more concerning "cross-over artists". Allow me to relate an experience I had working under "maestro" McFerrin. I had the pleasure of working as an extra player with the NY Phil a couple of years ago during one of their Parks summer series. He conducted Gershwin's American in Paris. He had a lot of trouble with a piece that is not particularly demanding of conducting chops; to the extent that in the somewhat tricky double time section 3/4's of the way through, the only way that things would not fall apart was if he stopped conducting altogether. The final performance of the series was on the night of a fierce rain storm and due to the resultant traffic jams one of the saxophone players was late. Either McFerrin is incredibly cool and composed(no pun intended)or as most suspected, he did not even notice. Now, as you said he is talented in what he does well, but that is an indication of what oftentimes happens in orchestras. The players feel discouraged and even a bit offended that they have to work for coductors who really are not up to par. Avguygeorge, you might be interested in this one, and verifiably true. Reiner was always known for having a, at times, impossibly small beat pattern. One of the Chicago bassists, know as a jokester, set up a small telescope on a tripod at the first rehearsal one week. He would peer into it on occasion to the glee of some. Reiner said nothing for three days. On the fourth day, as the rehearsal was ending he held up a small note and pointed it at the bass section. In small letters, visible only through the telescope was written: "You're Fired".
I am performing in a concert with Dave Brubeck on March 24th in Baltimore. I am not sure who is crossing over to who. Dave has composed a lot of music for chorus and jazz quartet, so I guess we are meeting half-way. We will be recording the music the next day coming to a Tower Records near you. Anyone interested in coming? More information at www.baltimorechoralarts.org
Excellent post, Frogman, and good luck with your singing, I presume, Sugarbrie. I'll put in a plug for the NJ Symphony Orchestra, Zdenek Macaal does not let them give anything but a fully committed performance. There are plenty of smaller ensembles and soloists performing in localities around the NYC area who give fine performances, that's one of the best things about this area. BTW, Frogman, unfortunately the Brooklyn Phil is losing/has lost Maestro Spano to the Atlanta Symphony, so it's clear others noticed his considerable talent as well.
Try Miami. I checked the weather today and its 75 and sunny the rest of the week. Michael Tilson Thomas" project for young musicians (I can't think of the name of the orchestra) was, when I lived there, a bunch of up and comers, playing there hearts out with lots of interesting music. And then there's all those Cuban and Nicaraguan Restaurants.
Go to Carnegie Hall.It is the best sound system in the world It makes music involving. The acoustics at Lincoln Center are mediocre at best.