Height of VPI Stainless HW-19 LP Clamp?

Hi all, can anyone who owns the newer SS VPI One Piece Clamp for the HW-19 please give me an accurate measurement of its height from bottom to top of Knob?
Thanks, Mark
markd51
OK, so here's my run down from tallest to shortest:

1 11/16 (= 1 22/32) inches -- all stainless HRX clamp, early version.

1 19/32 inches -- stainless knob on delrin disk, able to rotate independently of each other.

1 17/32 inches -- stainless knob on delrin disk, bonded together, hole not threaded, came with very early HRX.

1 13/32 inches -- black delrin knob on delrin disk, able to rotate independently of each other, came with HW 19 Mark III. Mark, you mentioned that you had one of these, and it measured about 1 5/8 inches (= 1 20/32 inches). It would seem that yours is clearly taller than mine.

I measured these by inverting them on a flat surface, ensuring that the discs were parallel to the surface (versus wobbling like a toy top) by using perpendicular bubble levels on the discs' flat bottoms now facing up, then measuring the distance from the surface to the upper edge of the discs using a metal tape measure. I checked to make sure the tape measure didn't "add" a little bit at its end before starting to count the distance at "0."

Assuming you don't go with Dreadhead's suggestion, both getting a taller dustcover or finding a way to use the BDR clamp are possible ways to go. Best would be getting a BDR with the threaded insert where you want it. A question: if you don't screw the BDR down but just place it on the spindle, is it heavy enough to press the record down on the platter to your satisfaction? or is the screw down essential? Good luck.
Thank you Jameswei/All for your help/suggestions.

Speaking with Mike yesterday at VPI, he seemed to give me the impression that my case wasn't the first that he heard about, with BDR Clamps not buttoning up with the heavier LPs.

All day I tried calling BDR, no one will answer the phone, I left a message with them early this morning. Haven't heard nothing from them.

The BDR Clamp is not heavy enough to be of any benefit by just laying on top of the platter. yes, many good tables don't use any type of clamp, but resort to a mat (Linn for example)

Still, I like VPI's methods of Clamping, and coupling the LP to the Platter. As many who own VPI know, once the LP has been clamped, and then the clamp is removed, the LP still stays clamped to the record, with a vacuum-like effect. I think it is a very good design. Harry found a way to in effect vacuum clamp the LP, without resorting to a vacuum such as in the Sota design.

I'll continue to keep calling BDR, and see what they have to say. My two piece BDR clamp looks nice, but sure isn't as convenient as a one piece.

I am unsure about the BDR Clamp, if the Brass Threaded Insert is just a press fit, or if it is also glued into the puck. If it is just pressed in, there may be a way to slightly withdraw the insert from the Puck, thus making it able to couple to my spindle. Probably if the threads were recessed just 1/32" less, the clamp would work with my 200gm Mo-fi's.

As Dreadhead states, leave the dustcover open when playing with the VPI Clamp, and I generally do, as it makes for one less thing to do when the LP nears its end, and the cue lever must lift the tonearm off the LP before it reaches the very end of the runout grooves. On occasion I may close the cover, mostly when playing my system at low volume levels. Mark

Hello Mark, I did not suggest leaving the dustcover up while listening, if anything, I would think that would make matters worse, internal vibrations and such. What I did suggest was removing the dustcover completely while listening. I'm no expert but I thought it was common knowledge that the closed dustcover causes unwanted vibration. I know that my turntable manufacture (Pro-Ject) recommends removing the cover while listening. I even removed the hinges. I would think that is why so many high end models, Basis, VPI, just to name a few, offer the dustcover as as option. Think about it, your enclosing all that super sensitive stuff under a plastic lid resting on a solid platform. That can't be good. Again, let me state that you guys know a lot more about this hobby then I do but I tried it both ways and it just sounds better with the dustcover removed while listening. Thanks for your recommendations on the static in potentiometers.
Hi Dreadhead, I'm sorry, you are correct, I did misquote what you said. :-)

Well, here's some good news!
I spoke this morning at great length with DJ Casser, the owner of Black Diamond Racing, and in fact, we spoke together on 3 occasions (He called me back twice!)

With Dial Calipers in hand, DJ, and I went back, and forth discussing the shortcoming of my BDR Clamp, in that it won't couple with my thicker 200gm LPs.

What DJ says he will do, is ship me out a "Test Puck" that has threaded inserts set at different depths on both sides. From here, I'll be able to determine what will work in my particular instance with my Mk-IV Platter, grt back to him, and let him know what depth works correctly. Then he can more, or less custom manufacture a new, thicker puck for myself at a reasonable cost to me. (Hopefully the new Puck will not be too thick, and the test puck he is sending will be a copy of the thicker pucks later manufactured by them.

I'll say this, it was a pleasure dealing with DJ, a great guy, and one who definitely cares about how his products perform, and certainly appears to hold his customer's satisfaction paramount above all else.

I agree Dreadhead, leaving a dustcover down, and even on will be a detriment versus no cover at all.

From what I know, your advice is 100% on the mark, and I do deeply appeciate the time you, and the rest of you fine folks have taken to respond to me.
I'm very glad I joinedned this forum, and I thank you all again!

When I have some more info, I'll post it here.
The Puck DJ Casser is sending me is already on its way, as he gave me the tracking #. Cool, huh?! Mark