Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
Andre,

If you can only choose between 20 ohms or 80, try them both and choose the one that sounds best. I'd bet on 80, but there's no harm in trying both.

What is the stepup ratio (or gain in dB) of your ANS2? That will also effect whether you should go for a low or high output ZYX.

Doug
Hi doug

I don't know exactly the gain value so I have send a mail to Audio note and I expect an answer.

What I can tell you is that the level was perfectly correct with the Shelter wich is 0,5 mV and much lower with A DL 103 wich is only 0,30 mV .

I could also be interested to buy A Bent SUT ( if possible from France)if I am sure to be able to adjust the GAIN and the Load myself .

André
Andre,

The loading on the Bent's is easily adjustable. The gain is not adjustable without installing a switch or re-soldering, either of which would add a connection in the signal path.

You can only buy BentAudio products directly from the company, which is in Canada. They don't have dealers.

http://www.bentaudio.com

You may be able to buy the transformers Bent uses in France (Stephens & Billington TX-103's, made in the UK). You'd have to connect them yourself and provide your own shielded cases, resistor sockets, input jacks and shielded output cables with plugs.
Dear Doug

I have contacted John Chapmann from Bent .

I provided him the specifications of my preamp to know if the standard ratio 1:10 for gain is correct with both airy versions ( 0,24 and 0,48mV). In his opinion it is enough.

I would be pleased to have your opinion on this precise point regarding only the best way to make the 0,24 mV version working fine .

Thanks

André

I would be pleased to have your opinion on this precise point regarding only the best way to make the 0,24 mV version working fine .
There's a useful preamp gain calculator on this site:

http://www.kabusa.com

It will help you estimate the necessary gain for any cartridge. (+ or - 5% from their recommendation is fine in my experience.)

In this case, a 0.24mv cartridge needs approximately 63db of gain before the line stage. A 1:10 SUT provides 20db, so your MM phono section must provide the rest. If your MM phono has about 40-46db you'll be fine.