Shelter and Triplanar matching ?

HELLO

I have problems to match a shelter 901 with a tri planar VII.

Lot of records ( above all piano LP ) are playing tremulous and I can see the tonearm CLEARLY SHAKING on the record while playing it as if it could be a problem of resonance between the cartridge and the tonearm .

I have seen here and there that the Shelter was a LOW COMPLIANCE cartridge (I don't know the exact value).Its weight is 9,5 g.

I have choosed the maxi VTF : 2 g.

I am afraid that the TP is too light for the shelter.Its effective mass is 11 g,
Is it enough for the Shelter 901 ?

I am surprised because the Shelter 901 / Tri Planar seemed to be a combination used buy some audiophiles...without modification .

Could someone give me some help...

Thank you

Tenmus
tenmus
Dogpile,

The formula works in both planes of course. If your cartridge has different V and H compliance, like a ZYX, run the formula twice.

The usual reason to check system resonance frequencies, whether by math or by test record, is simply to expose gross mis-matches - though frankly those are rare these days. Resonance frequencies won't tell you how a cartridge and arm will synergize and make music. Only listening will reveal that.

You do raise an interesting question though. I wouldn't assume either direction is less (or more) critical, but they are different. It might be theoretically desirable to have a higher R on the vertical axis and a lower R on the horizontal one.

Warps and floor-borne vibrations are largely vertical and fall mostly below 6Hz, so a slightly higher vertical R would help us avoid those. Some musical frequencies go as low as 16Hz and they are somewhat more horizontal, so we want horizontal R high enough to avoid them. I suppose a vertical R of 12-14Hz and a horizontal R of 8-10 Hz might be "ideal".

This would require either that the cartridge have a very non-linear suspension or that the arm have much higher effective mass on the horizontal axis than on the vertical. There are a few arms like that: air-bearing tangential arms and a few pivoted arms like the Dynavector 505/507 or a Twl-modded OL or Rega. Thanks to its relatively high horizontal inertia, my Twl-modded OL Silver was the most dynamic arm I've heard. Leading edge transient speed and extension were better than a TriPlanar, a Schroeder Reference or a Graham 2.2. I'm still impressed by Twl's brilliantly simple invention.
Tenmus,

I wonder how the azimuth adjustment (or anything else) was damaged on a new arm? I assume repairs will be covered by warranty.

Having to use the VTA tower near the top of its range "might" make it less stable and (let's face reality) the fit of the TriPlanar's VTA mechanism is not its best feature! Any chance of getting a taller armboard?

Since you had the same problem with this cartridge on another arm it does seem likely that the problem is in the cartridge. Shelter's QC is not as good as some, although I've never heard of this particular problem. Many 901's have misaligned cantilevers and/or non-square motors. Mine suffers from both problems (lucky me!) which makes it impossible to achieve decent channel seperation regardless of alignment or azimuth adjustment.
HI doug

I' am wondering too !!!! ( for the damage)

Thank you for the precisions concerning the Shelter .

I'll modifie the armboard to get it higher . However , now that I am using the REGA again with no special problems of height, I confirm that the problem I described you in my first message is still audible (piano with vibrato!!) and the headshell is lightly but clearly shaking lateraly ,especially at the beginning of each side whatever the anti -skate is.

I 'll give you some news as soon as I know what will happen with the TP ( because I want absolutly a new one THIS TIME).

Thanks again, André.

PS : excuse me but I don't understand what the abbreviation QC means (I am French).
Piano with vibrato - ouch!

That should not happen with a Shelter 901 on either of these arms.

1) Does this occur on only a few records? If so, are they drilled off-center? That will produce pitch-warbling every time. The only fix is to replace them or widen the spindle holes so you can center them before clamping.

2) If the records are drilled on-center it's probably the cartridge. Try another cartridge (any cartridge) and see if the problem repeats.

QC = Quality Control: methods used to ensure that every manufactured item or business process meets specifications, within defined tolerance limits. (I don't know the equivalent term in French, but it explains why one Exocet will hit the right house while ten Scuds can't even hit the right city!)
I had not this problem with my AUDIO NOTE IQ 3 before using the shelter .
Unfortunately I cannot try it again as I have lost the screws to set it up.

A friend will lend me a DL 103 so I can do the test...

OK for QC ( good explanation!!! )