Teres, Galibier and Redpoint

After a lot of research deciding whether I should upgrade the motor on my Avid Volvare or my cartridge I have now decided that upgrading my transport is the way to go. I don't have to worry about motor compatability problems and I can always upgrade my cartridge at a later date. Being that I nearly always prefer pursueing the small company, and that the unsuspended route seems right, the three shops above have really caught my interest.

The Teres 320 or 340, Galibier Gavia and Redpoint Model A all cost about the same. But the same problem arises, I don't have an opportunity to hear and compare them and unless it's on my system, it doesn't really matter. I in no way mean to insult Chris, Thom or Peter, but what seperates these three tables in term of sonics? I say this only because they are contributors to this forum. Anyone have any opinions?

My arm is a Tri-Planar VII. Phonostage a Thor. Art Audio SET amps. Systrum rack. Thanks for your input. Richard
richardmr
Dan_Ed,

Tension with a mylar belt is certainly touchier than with a more elastic one, but with Audiopoints coupling discs beneath the three spikes on my motor it doesn't move by itself. I check belt tension once in a while with a finger, but it's typically stable for weeks on end.

Find something else to stress about! ;-)
Dan ed - No, I have not made a decision yet and I'm probably not any closer to making one. It depends what side of the bed I get up on. I'm sure all three of the models would be great. But since I've started this thread there seems to be some well thought out arguments concerning the high mass designs lacking PRaT and that the table I own being much better than I knew. So I'm still investigating and would truly appreciate any and all opinions on this issue.
Thank's Dougdeacon. I will probably build a stand for which ever table I get so I'm planning what surface finish to use. Thom has a picture on his website that shows an owner who fashioned a mechanism for doing fine adjustments to the motor position for belt tensioning. I do have an idea for making such a gizmo but it sounds like it probably isn't necessary unless I use some hard, slick surface.

I completly underestimated how long I would be without a table and how much I would miss it when I sold my last table. I have no one to blame but myself for my stress. It doesn't help to sit down for a listening session and be surrounded by all those LP's that are still waiting cleaning, inspection and cataloging. They're calling my name and I'm starting to answer them back!

BTW, I noticed you had a bearing upgrade done to your 320. Would you care to to provide details on the differences with the new bearing and how it has impacted the sound?
Hi Richardmr, I know all to well how that side of the bed thing works. I would be interested in reviewing the arguments you mention concering PRaT and high mass tables. I gather from Thom's recent comments that it may be mostly a question of implementation rather than design theories. I have no doubt that there are many great tables to choose from.
Dan_Ed,

We haven't received the new bearing yet, so my table is presently doing a live imitation of an exploded diagram. Fortunately, tables of this type have relatively few parts!

Waiting is hard, I feel your pain. Dutifully cleaning records we can't play doesn't quite satisfy. It does give me a chance to remove the cat hairs from all the fiddly bits on the TriPlanar. Those are hard to reach when it's mounted.

I've also borrowed the Stillpoints that support the 320 to test beneath other components. We normally use cryoed Symposium Rollerblocks with tungsten balls, courtesy of Cello. This gave me a chance to A/B.

Beneath the power amp I prefer the Stillpoints (more texture and inner detail). Paul prefers the Rollerblocks (more presence). Oy! It is rare for us to disagree on sonics for any length of time. So either he'll come to his senses ;-) or we'll conclude that in this application they are different, but only slightly so.