Do you think you need a subwoofer?

Why almost any one needs subwoofers in their audio systems?

I talk with my audio friends about and each one give me different answers, from: I don't need it, to : I love that.

Some of you use subwoofers and many do in the speakers forum and everywhere.

The question is: why we need subwoofers ? or don't?

My experience tell me that this subwoofers subject is a critical point in the music/sound reproduction in home audio systems.

What do you think?
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas
Halcro: Now I remember that article where comes those scientific studies about those 5,000 subs. I think that somewhere in this tread we can read it.

regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,

Two Wilson Benesch subs used with BOTH monitors and full range for different reasons:

Monitors: for fill in and spread of bass in depth and dynamics
Full range : to "roll off" at a higher level to then enhance the range and full musicality of my top to bottom linear performance!

The WB's are amazingly fast, musical and offer extreme quality if not the last word in quantity...
Dear Azjake: I never have the opportunity to hear those WB subs but I already read many great things about.

Congratulations for what you already achieve through them in both speakers.

I'm sure is a must to hear!

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Dear friends: Some weeks ago I read in one of the Agoner's virtual systems ( sorry not remember which one. ) that one of you made a tweak to a Velodyne DD subwoofers changing the internal wiring with good results.

So, this week I decide to make the same change with my Velodyne's HGS-15, that take me 3-4 hours to complete the job in both units ( btw, the first one is where I take more time because this was my first time to attemp about and have to learn. ). It is a shame that these great subs comes wired from woofer to amplifier with plain zip cords ( I don't know how comes in the latest DD series. ).

I just change the internal wiring ( 50-60cm ) on the subwoofers for Kimber Kable KCAG ( the one that I had on hand , very good indeed. ) and the quality improvement on the system performance improve in a way that I never imagine.

This is not only that the bass is more clear, precise and with better definion and tight feeel but the midrange and high frequencies improve too making that the system performs now with a better pristine/transparent and natural presentation that I never heard/hear it.

I assume that with the new cables the distortions goes down and that's what permit to achieve this really nice and paramount quality improvement.

Yes, it is worth the effort to do it.

If you want to make it my advise is that you be carefully on the job, of course that you can email me if you think I can help you about.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.