Do you think you need a subwoofer?

Why almost any one needs subwoofers in their audio systems?

I talk with my audio friends about and each one give me different answers, from: I don't need it, to : I love that.

Some of you use subwoofers and many do in the speakers forum and everywhere.

The question is: why we need subwoofers ? or don't?

My experience tell me that this subwoofers subject is a critical point in the music/sound reproduction in home audio systems.

What do you think?
Ag insider logo xs@2xrauliruegas
"The first time you can hear the subwoofers right blended on your stereo home audio system: YOU NEVER COULD LIVE WITH OUT THEM AGAIN, ANY ONE CAN, period"

Nope. I can live very happily without subs and their associated costs and problems. Fortunately, spending lots of money is not required for me to enjoy music. Maybe when the industry can offer good products at fair, reasonable, honest, pricing (IMHO) I would consider upgrading.
Darkmoebius,you will find that as you lower the Sub output(using gain or placement,though you may try lowering cutoff point)there will be "Additional Information" that will appear,as well as a deeper soundstage.There will,also,be an even greater sense of high freq info.Too much bass will thicken up the sound,overall.Try listening without the subs.Then after a day or two,try to adjust for Maximum stage depth,with a very slight underpinning of low freq.When you get it "right",you'll immediately know it,as the system will "open up",while retaining proper "weight"!Best of luck!
cdc - By your reaction, I'm assuimg you had two high-end subs hooked up in true stereo mode with a high pass to your main speakers hooked up in your room? You found they didn't offer a suitable return on your investment?
Tonight my next door neighbor very generously agreed to loan me his sub for a couple of days, so that I can experiment with stereo subs. His sub has almost nothing in common with my horn-loaded sub, so the test isn't perfect, but it will do for my purpose. I have it located opposite my sub, in the right corner. I also want to evaluate both subs located even with and even slightly in front of the satellite speakers. This will be a little inconvenient due to the size and weight of the horn sub.

Will share my observations in a day or two.
SirSpeedy, addictions are tough to kick...

You've got to ween yourself down a little at a time - cold turkey can kill ya'.

I've been slowly walking myself down the crossover point and volume range steadily. Surprisingly, the difference is increadibly subtle for such a large output difference.

But, as you suggest, lower levels allow more detail to sneak through. I also moved my subs to the corners(obvious, but I never tried it) behind my mains and moved the mains further out from the wall.

The corner loading actually reduced bass output from the between-the-mains position substantially. But, it also cleaned things up nicely. The lows aren't as obvious as before and blend well with the rest of the frequency range.

Corner ubs and mains farther from the wall created what my system has been lacking since I upgraded a few months ago - DEPTH!

Before, it was wide but flat. Now, I am beginning to get a sense of the distance between performers on stage with good recordings. And I get touches of that 3-D effect at times.

I tried the Cardas Golden setup, but that really wasn't any better than other positions and essentially rendered my living room useless with the speakers almost 7 feet from the front wall and my seating position 6 feet away. That's way too close for 6 foot tall speakers.

I hope to get a couple of other fanatics over to my house this weekend to help with positioning. It is just too hard to do alone with speakers this big. Get up, slide them a few inches, measure, re-measure, slide them again, sit down, listen some music, get up again and again and again.

After a while, it becomes impossible to tell the diference between positions. Yet, I slug on in the spirit of this crazy hobby.