Ready to try vinyl

I would like to buy a turntable just to see what all the fuss is about. Since I remember the pops and scratches all too well, I do not want to spend alot just to satisfy my curiosity. I want a turntable that is capable of giving me a "taste" of what the vinyl sound is all about without going overboard. I can always upgrade if I like what I hear. I would also like to avoid deciding against vinyl because the turntable was not capable of capturing at least the basics. What turntables should I be looking at and how much should I spend? I would prefer to buy used due to the experimental nature of this adventure. Current gear is Sunfire processor with phono input, a pair of Classe M 701's, and B&W 800N. I am relying on your responses since I don't know squat. Thanks for your help.
baffled
About five years ago, I decided to make the jump back to vinyl. I've got lots of old records that I was never able to part with, and with reading all that was said on these forums, decided to give it a shot.

After a lot of reading, I came to the conclusion that the majority here say, belt drive was the way to go.

I bought a Thorens TD125, and worked on it for three years, off and on, and basically liked it. Went to all the Thorens sites, lots of learning and tinkering.

One thing that always stood out to me, was that the speed stability was somewhat lacking. I cleaned, oiled, bought new belts, but could see by the strobe markings that it wavered no matter what I did. I'm not golden-eared, but I could also hear it on certain passages. Did I get a bad TD125? Perhaps

I loved the sound of vinyl, I still wanted to play records, yet I was unable to make it sound right.

After reading the stuff about DD tables, I took a risk. I bought a used Technics SL1200 MK2 off ebay. I knew that a lot of these have been abused as DJ units in clubs, but the pictures looked good, and the guy selling it seemed believable.

It is the best deal I've ever made. The only tweaks I've made, are the ones that Kevin at KBUSA recommends, the sorbothane footers, and the fluid damper for the tonearm. There's a power supply add on that I've yet to get, as the speed stability is perfect, and I question whether I need it.

I'm not telling anyone to do anything, or knocking any other equipment. This was MY experience getting back into vinyl.

Used SL1200 $200
fluid damper $149
footers? Can't remember, but reasonale
Dear friends: I think that Johnnantais is right in many ways and I agree with him in many issues.

His Gallileo, Bacon, etcc references, are a way to dramatize a fact that the 99% of the people " can't see it " or does not " want to see it ".

Opalchip do serious statements about what exactly is the job of a TT for to know what can we expect from a TT : +++++ " What exactly does a turntable do? It's a platter spun by a motor that we put a record on. The ABSOLUTE BEST thing it can do is turn at an accurate, highly constant 33rpm and not impart any vibration to the lp. It cannot "add" anything positive to the playback. " +++++

Any one of you have to agree with those statements, especially: ACCURATE AND HIGHLY CONSTANT SPEED ( 33/45rpm in the short and long run ).

Here the idler/DD TT's beats any belt drive design ( including the Walker ). I own four belt drive TTs, three SP 10MK2, two DP80s and one DP75 Denon's. In the past I was owner of: SP10MK3 and a Denon DP 100 ( please don't ask why I don't own today these two TTs. I don't want to remember it ).

The idler/DD servo TTs are dead steady on the rpm issue. The motor in the DD TT is really a tour de force, at least in the DD models that I own.

The pitch in the music reproduction in a home audio system is the most critical subject for a right musical appreciation. Any small variation in the TT speed change the pitch and change totally what we are hearing.

The problem in the belt drive systems is in the belt drive it self ( not in the small motors that are using ), all kind of belt drive materials: kevlar, nylon, silk, rubber, etc., have the tendency to stretch ( every single second that are in use ), is this tendency to stetch what do almost impossible to mantain a constant speed. The DD drive servo TTs don't have to fight with this critical issue and don't have that little speed variations that the belt drive have: especially in the short run, that is where really is important. Now, it is not only the stretch tendency on the belt drive system what is a critical issue there are other critical issues in a belt drive systems, like: changes in the room temperature, changes in the room humidity, the pulley and platter friction with the belt, the pulley/platter build imperfections, etc...

This single subject: " ACCURATE AND HIGHLY CONSTANT SPEED ", ( where everything the same ) do the difference between a belt drive system against a DD system, where the DD system beats the belt drive system.

Johnnantais don't have to go so far away: the best TT system is the Rockpor Sirius, this 70K+ " baby " use a DD system: wonder why? Don't you think that if the " experts belt drive system " was the better Rockport would had choose it?

The three belt drive systems TTs that are in my current audio system are very good on the speed issue but aren't perfect: I'm checking every day and some days after/before every listen record the speed variation.

There are many issues of the why's many of us and all the " reviewers/experts " are using belt drive systems: but this situation is only circunstantial and does not means that the belt drive system is better than the direct drive system, because it's not.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Here the idler/DD TT's beats any belt drive design ( including the Walker ). I own four belt drive TTs, three SP 10MK2, two DP80s and one DP75 Denon's. In the past I was owner of: SP10MK3 and a Denon DP 100 ( please don't ask why I don't own today these two TTs. I don't want to remember it ).

Raul, although I frequently agree with your writings, we are very far apart on this topic.

Having owned multiple direct drive and idler wheel drive design turntables, I am aware of their strengths. No question their speed accuracy is uncanny, but there are a few exquisitely engineered belt drive turntables that overcome this technical obstacle.

The Walker represents the pinnacle of this engineering, maintaining flawless speed accuracy and control that equals the idler wheel models while maintaining such virtues as adjustable air suspension system, air bearing non-resonant platter and integrated linear tracking arm with adjustable pressure air bearing.

Understand, I was one of the first to compliment Johnnantais and throw my support behind him when his Lenco thread was begun. In spite of my admiration of the Lenco and Garrard idler wheel designs, there is no contest between these and the Walker.

We can banter back and forth on this all day, so I will just say that you're entitled to your opinion and that I don't share your view. This, based on my own experimentation over the years with hundreds of turntables.