New cart, step-up or ???

Just got a Hagerman Trumpet to go with a Joule LA-100MKIII I recently acquired. Analog front end is Benz Glider L2 (0.25mv)/OL Silver/SOTA Star Saphirre. The Trumpet has 44 dB gain, the Joule 11 dB. I have run it as is, and the volume is fine at about 11:30-12:30 rotation on the Joule. Hagerman recommends his 20 dB step-up instead of his additional gain stage; or I could stand pat, or I could go to a new, mid output MC. Recommendations?? If a new cart is in the offing, what is a good match. Price of the step up is $850, addntl gain stage $500 plus 2 way shipping, cart would be less salvage value of near new Benz ($300 +/-?) What say you, analog gurus? TIA
128x128swampwalker
It's interesting that I once again disagree with Raul. I've been exposed to different cartridges being run direct into very adequate phono stages and through various transformers. In every case I preferred the sound of the trannys in the mix. Each his own I guess.
Dear Lugnut: You disagree because like other peoples here don't understad what happen when a signal goes through a SUT and ( perhaps ) because you don't understand the live music.

Btw, how many hours do you dedicated to hear live music each month?
This question is for every single person that " loves " SUTs, too. Don't be shy ( all of you ) and post your answer.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.
Raul,

Before my health began to fail Barb and I only listened to live music a minimum of twice per week. During the last year of feeling well we attended appoximately twenty large concerts on top of the smaller venues we attended twice per week. Even feeling the way I do we recently attended the Boise Philharmoic. When young we attended every concert that we could as long as it didn't interfere with work or family obligations. During our years of parenting we cut back drastically. I spent three years as a tour director for a production company prior to my marriage and listened to live acts twice per night in two different clubs per night, with each tour lasting twenty one days and then one week off. I even attended the practice sessions and the parties during the off hours. I've played acoustic guitar for the last 35 years only giving it up recently. I'd be glad to forward references for what I claim if you don't believe me but nothing seems to penetrate your world. Raul, you sometimes ask why folks are so aggressive. Perhaps you should examine the insulting way you talk down to people. People you don't agree with cannot possibly conduct adequate experiments by your standards and it's obvious you don't believe that we hear as well as you or are as familiar with instruments subtle nuances live, not to mention vocals. Your opinions remind me of when manufacturers of transistor gear focused on a lack of distortion rather than how something sounds. You do not like tubes, insultingly calling them equalizers. You don't like my cartridge and likely have never heard one. Your way of cleaning records is the only way. You don't like step up transformers. I only mentioned your name in my last post because you have made the claim that transformers are degrading the signal in previous threads. Please continue to study your specs while I continue to trust my ears. Now that I've stepped up and provided you with how much live music I've listened to, what's the point? If I've got adequate seat time will you question the types of music I listen to or lament my lack of formal training? Like everything else I've done, certainly your opinion will be that I've done it wrong. I will continue to praise you when I feel you deserve it but defend myself when under insulting attacks such as "don't understand". That Raul is a nasty assumption.
Raul I'm curious, which person(s) here on Audiogon do YOU feel know as much as you about audio? Inquiring minds (me) are fascinated with this question. Thanks in advance.
Dear Wc65mustang: Many. I really learn several audio topics in this forum every day.

Regards and enjoy the music.
Raul.