About Lugnut -- Patrick Malone

Many of us have come to know Patrick Malone (Lugnut) as a friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and kind individual. He is a frequent and enthusiastic contributor to our analog discussion forum. He has initiated only 17 threads, but responded to 559 threads. I would guess that many, if not most, of us can recall a time when Pat replied with helpful advice to a question we posted or helped us track down a rare recording. I have come to love Pat as a friend, and to respect him as a man, and I suspect many of you share those feelings.

Today I write to share difficult news with you. Pat has been diagnosed with an aggressive stomach cancer. It has yet to be determined whether surgery will even be worth it. If surgery is performed, most or all of the stomach will be removed, and Pat would face a difficult and long post-op period in the hospital. The medical course is still uncertain, but will be determined soon. Whatever is decided, it will not be easy or pleasant.

Something may be planned in the future to assist the family. For now, Pat could use some of the friendship he so often and willingly showed us. You can email Pat at: [email protected]. You can also mail cards, letters ... or whatever. You may email me for Pat's mailing address. My email is: [email protected].

I hope to spend a few days with Pat in Idaho or Nebraska (from which he hails) soon. Between this news, my legal work, getting ready for family arriving for the holidays, Audio Intelligent, and trying to make plans to visit Pat, my head is spinning. If you email me and I don't respond, please understand that I am not ignoring you, but rather simply do not have time to reply.

Pat may or may not have time to respond to posts here, to emails, or to cards mailed to him. But he has asked me to convey to each and every one of you that he has cherished your friendship, your comradery, and sharing our common hobby on this great website.

As we prepare for our holiday season celebrations, and look forward to -- as we should -- enjoying this time of year, I ask that you keep Pat and his family in mind ... and softly offer up, in quiet moments in the still of night and early morning, prayers for Pat and his family. God bless.

Warmest regards to all,
Paul Frumkin
paul_frumkin
Geez, you guys are the best. Tom, I'll decline on the kind offer. I have a perfect 901 which I plan on using at some point. Your Cotter would have been plug and play. I really don't want to maybe have Barb sort out things that need to be returned. Doug, the K&K is one I'm considering and it's probably a perfect match for the level of my system. If I do the K&K thing I'll probably call you for some specifics. I don't much care for cigars myself. If you and Paul can somehow make it out this way I'd accomodate any such requests.

I posted my system the other day and was disappointed to see it did not make it to the "new today" forum page. Did I do something wrong? I was hoping that you guys would get to see it since it was only made possible through your help. It is an extension of my personality. It's found in the system link on the home page entitled Lugnut's room.
Patrick: "keep on truckin, man" is appropriate. With or without a step-up tranny:)!
good fortune, considering the circumstances, continues to rain down on me
To be able to SEE good fortune and look positively at the world, from where you are is a great lesson for all the rest of us. Thank you on behalf of my little family & myself.

On step-up trannies: K&K's lundahl trannies are good. Also, sowter sells them as does diyhifisupply. All are very easy to operate!
Cheers and be well.
Last week was spent with a couple of old friends from the Midwest that came out to just hang around. We went to one of our audio club meetings and everyone seemed to enjoy my guests. Two nights were spent listening to live blues at my favorite watering hole. Played some pool too and owned the table for a few hours until I just hung it up in favor of people watching. We also went to Steve's home and they were just blown away by his room and system. We stayed up late listening to various types of music, drinking single malt scotch and cognac, smoking various cigars and other, er, plants. One of my friends spent some time shooting skeet, trap and sporting clays, with my other friend going to some BLM land and target shooting his rifles at long distances. A lot of the time these guys brought up stories about yours truly that they will never forget. Wow! Listening to these tales makes me realize that I've been a smart ass for most of my life. Like the time a lady in a shopping center parking lot was hitting her son on the head telling him how stupid he was. My comment to her was, "Yeah lady, that's right. Hit him on the brain. That should make him smarter." Or the time at a party when an obnoxious drunk butted into a great conversation and I told him that the more I knew him the more I liked him less. I don't just blurt things out like I used to but I still think them. I love these guys and cherish the time I spent with them this last week.

I received my Wright WPL10 V preamp last week too. I've got to say that for such an inexpensive piece it has speed to die for and lets the details through rivaling pieces selling for much higher prices not to mention it is dead quiet. I do have some things to sort out though and maybe you guys can help. The cartridge I'm currently using is one reported to not be a good match with this phono stage and the 901 that I have requires a step up tranny to work as it should because of its low source impedence. The phono stage has a total of 65 db of gain and is said to work well with cartridges down to .5 mv. Considering all of my options it seems buying a new cartridge is perhaps the easiest path to satisfaction. Besides, the 901 doesn't belong to me. I've got an Ittok arm, need a minimum .5 mv output and 47k loading as well as high source impedence. I'm looking to spend around $500 but will go up to $800 new or used. Used, if from a trusted source like one of you guys. Advice is needed. Of course, I could sell the WPL10 V and buy another preamp for more money too.

I finished my first go round of the Xeloda. I guess I tolerated it well enough. Hell, at this point I don't know how I'm supposed to be feeling. I don't sleep well and am fatigued most of the time but I don't blame this on the medication although I know it contributes to being tired. I'll begin the second round next Wednesday and after that go in for a CT scan to see if it is helping. In the meantime I'm just going to try and ignore thinking about it. There doesn't seem to be any point in that mental exercise anyway. After all, it is what it is. I do dislike very much swallowing so many pills every day. I realize it's a mental thing but popping seven in the morning and ten in the evening of various required meds makes me wonder if mixing all of them up creates something brand new! Do doctors even think about the synergy thing?? LOL
Patrick- I've been thinking about you a lot. My wife has just finished her 4th surgery in the last 2 months and is about to start what they call dose-dense chemo in a couple of weeks. People like you and she are the definition in my book of class AND bravery. Taking the bitter with the sweet and doing what you have to do without any sense of self-pity. Her long term prognosis is pretty good so that helps her (and me), but so far she has not caught any breaks at all in terms of what was anticipated vs. what actually happened. And of course at some point you just have to decide either to trust the docs or not; there is no way you can have the independent knowledge to know that from a medical standpoint you are doing the right thing if your not a Dr. yourself. That doesn't mean that you have to do what they recommend, but if you can't trust your doc to give you valid info on something as complicated and significant (understatement!) as cancer therapy, then you're really up $hit creek. BTW, with the new anti-nausea drugs, is the smoking recreational or medicinal? Hard for us to know how to plan for this, especially with a 16 year old in the house. I guess we will just let it come to us.

Glad to hear that you have had a good time with your buds. I'm not a shooter but hanging out and drinking some good booze and listening to some tunes, sounds like what I like to do with my friends; just substitute golf for skeet! Don't get a chance to do it that often; note to self to do that kind of thing more often.

I'm thinking about you and will be sending all good thoughts for good results on your CT scan.