Record-playing Rituals?

I'm curious what everybody's riuals are when listening to albums. How often do you clean the records? Every Time? How often do you clean and lubricate the stylus? Every time?

David
deshapiro
First, condolences on your dead amp. May its resurrection bring sweetness and light.
Second, I've always kept my records scrupulously clean, even before I had a cleaning machine. The fluid retained from records that I had previously cleaned by other methods has never been anything but clear. That isn't to say that there are not sonic benefits of more thorough cleaning, just that they aren't readily visible.
Most of the contaniments will be microscopic. These will be the deposits in your spent fluid. The other grunge will be left on the vacuum brush. That is why it is very important to clean the brush after each use.
After spending about a grand on cleaning stuff, now I just say piss on it & play em dirty! That way I don't have to worry when my fluid that comes out of the VPI is clean. Once in a while I throw the cartridge in the dishwasher to get the crap off of it.

I only do this now because I was slack last week, and forgot to get a hold of 4yanx when I was out in his neck of the woods.

So now I feel bad, and my records sound like crap, but I am drinking more to overcome these oversights. After enough alcohol, even the bad records sound good. Thank God for the Teres 40 minute motor shut off.!
Does anyone find that record cleaning solution beads up on the record instead of forming a sheet across the record surface? Seems to happen more on new records, and varies between records – some I get a nice sheet of fluid on the entire record surface, while on others it breaks up half way round, while in the worst case it beads up immediately behind the brush. The VPI solution that came with the machine sheeted nicely. The next batch was VPI concentrate with instructions to mix in a gallon of distilled water. It beaded so I added a small amount of alcohol per direct instructions from VPI after inquiring to them. The alcohol helped a fair amount. I’ve now switched to Record Research lab Super Vinyl Wash and it really beads up. Does anyone recommend adding a small amount of alcohol to it? Of course its possible beading up is of no concern, since maybe the only area where even coverage across the record surface matters is under the brush. I use the VPI brush. Tried a Nitty Gritty brush but didn’t like it as well because it soaks up too much fluid and becomes saturated. However I didn’t give it much of a try and may use it again. So, does anyone have any thoughts on sheeting vs. beading?
I had noticed what you said. The VPI fluid that came with the machine covered the LP and also developed some suds. While the RR just sort of seems to clean and not cover the LP. Now what I do is sort of scrub the LP while it is spinning. I softly Scrub the grooves firmly but gently. This makes me feel better that I am cleaning better and gets full coverage of the LP. I have been doing this for a couple of months now with no damage to the LP that I can notice.
Now I am wondering about writting a post for a recipe of homemade solution. Any ideas?