Record-playing Rituals?

I'm curious what everybody's riuals are when listening to albums. How often do you clean the records? Every Time? How often do you clean and lubricate the stylus? Every time?

David
deshapiro
I use the Vpi HW 16.5. Actually, I just got it today. Really nice machine. But I also picked up a can of Gruv Glide. This seems like really incredible stuff. Can I do better?
How dirty ought used record cleaning fluid to be? Does anybody else find their spent fluid is so clear it looks practically drinkable? I'm newly returned to vinyl and absolutely inexperienced in the kind of record-cleaning you have been talking about here. Having read (and read and read), I ordered fluids, ordered brushes, lucked into a used Loricraft, which arrived just this morning, and set to work.

My records were to start with none of them visibly filthy--when I last played them, many years ago, I was as careful as I then knew how to be and brushed them with a Discwasher. But from the reading I'd been doing recently I had gathered that no record that hadn't been at least scrubbed and preferably vacuumed was could be considered clean and that the fluid one vacuumed off would show just how dirty it really was. I was really looking forward to seeing the dissolved gunk. But, to my disappointment, there doesn't seem to be any gunk--the liquid that shows up in the little refuse bottle is absolutely limpid. I can't tell whether I'm doing something wrong or whether my expectations were just off.

Under normal circumstances I'd just play the cleaned record and hear whether there was a difference or not. But I can't: yesterday, with the worst possible timing--just a day before the Loricraft arrived--my amp failed and had to be sent off to Idaho. I've got probably a month of phono-silence ahead of me. Record cleaning is now my sole audio amusement!

So is this normal or it not?
First, condolences on your dead amp. May its resurrection bring sweetness and light.
Second, I've always kept my records scrupulously clean, even before I had a cleaning machine. The fluid retained from records that I had previously cleaned by other methods has never been anything but clear. That isn't to say that there are not sonic benefits of more thorough cleaning, just that they aren't readily visible.
Most of the contaniments will be microscopic. These will be the deposits in your spent fluid. The other grunge will be left on the vacuum brush. That is why it is very important to clean the brush after each use.