DAC question

I'm in a process of building my sound system. Currently it consists of B&W Matrix 803 S2 and Luxman M600-A amp. The next step is to get a DAC. I'm thinking about Luxman DA-06 or Aqua La Scala Mk II but not sure if it's really make sense to pay such money for DAC when using in such system. All my music is in flac (or other lossless formats)...
alex_bolotnikov
I'd be looking at MUCH more inexpensive solutions. Take a look at the Schiit lineup of DACs, I think you'll find something from them that works quite well for reasonable money...

http://schiit.com/

-RW-
I've owned similiar speakers so I have to ask, are you trying to deal with the tweeter being bright/harsh, or is that not a factor? Are you OK with it?
I don't know the amp but I actually found the M803 SII speakers to sound quite good when I owned a pair, particularly at their price point. Something like the Metrum Hex or Auralic Vega might be a good deal for you if purchased used, and might fit your price range better. I own the Hex, have auditioned the LaScala II and plan to hear the Metrum Pavane and compare. I will have the LaScala II here again next week for a second look/listen since my first audition was cut short. It is a great sounding DAC but certainly has a tube flavor that seemed focused on richly textured, dense, somewhat rounded, bold sounds with plenty of drive (from the moderately high output voltage). IMO, no significant nits to pick although it certainly has its own sound that some will enjoy greatly and others may find slightly colored in the direction discussed above.

To many, I suspect the La Scala II will sound exceptionally musical and will make them mostly forget comparisons between analog and digital. However, the Hex is very musical and mostly without fault at its price point, although others feel the same way about the Vega...some like chocolate others like vanilla.

The La Scala II will cost you about twice what the other DACs I mentioned will cost used. Only you can decide.

The other question, almost as important, is what you plan to use as a source. John Darko's thoughts on the Antipodes servers mirror my experiences and I highly recommend their servers compared to even very high quality dedicated computer set-ups (e.g., a tricked out Mac mini).

You could do much, much worse than an Antipodes server into the Hex or Vega.