Does HiRez really sound better?

I came across this article from Goldmund Audio which I"m sure will raise some hackles. Don't think me a troll but I'd like to read some feedback on the supposed benefits of HiRez. Some of this has already been gone through but the blind listening test mentioned concluded that the ability to hear a difference between PCM and DSD was no better than the flipping of a coin.
http://attachments.goldmund.com.s3.amazonaws.com/2015/01/23/15/49/42/359/goldmund_does_high_resolution_audio_sound_better_white_paper.pdf.

All the best,
Nonoise
128x128nonoise
Zd542,

The 'Loudness Wars' on CDs has seriously reduced dynamics and micro-dynamics which are potentially much better on CDs as opposed to cassettes. Additionally, CDs benefit from zero wow & Flutter and a much lower noise floor.

The areas I notice the most obvious improvements with hi-rez files as compared to CDs are: dynamics, micro-dynamics, an even lower noise floor and a very high detail level. With your previous comments on the importance of most of these qualities in your music listening, I would think hi-rez music files are likely a very good choice for you.

Tim
Does hirez really sound better,........?
I noticed over the years any thread started with List the best sounding
HiRes music and virtually every thread on this topic stalls , there is more
chat about componets and wire then accual information of the HiRes file
itself.
Potential profit and mark ups are large with no physical product to produce
,package and distribute,.. this business concept of HiRez downloads looks
great on paper however accual consumer feed back over the past few
years has been underwhelming.
In shore,

While I don't disagree with your comment, I would add that switching to a computer based digital source in one's system is not a simple thing and requires some commitment. The first need is to educate yourself on how it all works and the components needed. Then you need to research these components to determine the right ones for you that are within your budget. Significant decisions also need to be made along the way, such as hardwired or wireless and exactly what hi-rez format to utilize (24/96khz, 24/192khz,DSD, etc.)

My point is that all the above takes time and some may need assistance from other members who have more knowledge. Many thread followers may not have completed their switch to digital files and are seeking help by posting on the wrong threads.

Just as you, interested in actual information about HiRes files themselves, posted on this thread which is concerned with whether HiRez really sounds better. I think you may be on the wrong thread.

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim , I did understand the op question , I read through the Goldman link
then added my own observation ,over the years from about 2010 I have
read every single thread regarding the quality of HIRez down loads ,....,
which are your favorite , which are the best sonically so on and so forth ,
none of these threads have any longevity to them at all ,....Does HIRez
really sound better, consumers sure aren't talking about it ,
Hi In shore,

Thanks for clarifying. I think I understand your comment/frustration better now.

It seems you are, like myself, already convinced that HiRez offers the best sonic performance of currently available music sources. You're just looking for more information and discussion about good HiRez files, their sonic qualities and where they're available. And, when you are able to find threads containing this info, the threads tend to peter out.

If my understanding is correct, I would have to agree with you but still think you may be seeking info on the wrong site. I love Audiogon but would say, in general, forum topics are more concerned with equipment than music.

I would suggest visiting Mark Waldrep's site at AIX Records. He teaches about audio and audio recording as a professor at a California college but puts out a daily newsletter on audio subjects on his AIX site, mainly HiRez related. He's a big proponent of HiRez file suppliers needing to list the 'Provenance' of the downloads they sell. By 'Provenance', he is basically referring to the download's history; was it re-recorded from an analog LP or CD master? (which he argues is not HiRez since it will not sound better than the original master since it is just a standard resolution recording re-recorded on to a HiRez 'bucket') or was it recorded live digitally using HiRez recording equipment? (which he does on his AIX files and argues are HiRez and sound significantly better than those remixed from analog masters).

His arguments make a lot of sense to me and, as a result, I've only been buying downloads that are listed as being recorded directly to digital with good results thus far. I have not purchased any AIX downloads yet but I have bought a few from a European site called Sound Liaison www.soundliaison.com/. I bought and downloaded 2 24bit/96khz FLAC files of Jennifer Gomes songs recorded live in a studio direct to digital and both are excellent.

I consider myself just at the beginning of my computer audio journey, having all the required software and equipment well integrated into my system. While I have my entire CD collection now stored on my NAS, I currently have a limited number ofHiRez music files. I may be at a similar stage as you since I'm now less concerned with setup and now more concerned with finding good HiRez music files to download. However, getting back to this thread's topic, I have absolutely no doubt that HiRez 24/96 FLAC files sound better than my ripped CDs; more detailed, better dynamics and more of a sense of being in the same venue as the musicians.

I hope this helped you,
Tim