Please Help: High-End car audio

Firstly, I hope those word aren't an oxymoron. I've got all Focal drivers with a Soundstream amp. I bought an eclipse head unit and in-dash changer and hate the sound. Its not bad, but for as much as I spent, I'm not happy about it. It just sounds thin and unlifelike. The factory cd player through the spkr-line level adaptor didn't sound that much worse. If anyone has any experience with some head units in the car that really sound nice I'd be appreciative. The most I can do is exchange the Eclipse gear or try an sell it. Is Nakamichi about the only other one? And just how bad are the tuners at the expense of a good cd player. My home system is a fanfare tuner with all Van Alstine gear. I don't expect my car to sound that good, but at least musical. And I won't buy McIntosh, too expensive and ugly.
ezmeralda114405
I've experienced some excellent results with Alpine headpiece; won 1st prize at Car Wars. This is not an all-noise rig either, very musical, loud & clean. Mix of ADS & Nakamichi speakers & crossovers; 750 watts RMS, +130dB SPL (I was not onboard during this measurements phase of the contest!).
If you haven't already the best thing you can do is have your door panels treated and maybe and floor if you're willing. The spray on stuff is more effective than Dynamat for door panels, but Dynamat will work well for the floor. Treating the car will smooth out the tonal balance and curb the slightly aggressive tweeters Focal uses. If you still have a problem with thinness, check out the Nakamichi head unit or look in to swapping your Soundstream amp for a McIntosh. McIntosh gear is warmer and fuller than most other brands. Good Luck
I agree that the Soundstream is part of your problem. To put it simply "they ain't what they used to be". I moved away from them to Orion and have never looked back. The one that I am most surprised by is a fairly new company, Xtant. They are very impressive in biuld quality and are easily configured to about anything you can imagine. Eclipse is a pretty good head unit therefore I do not beleive your problem lies there but you could have a bad unit. I personally use the higher end Clarion Pro Audio head unit and wouldn't trade it for the world. It now resides in its third car and I have no plans to replace it. Just my two cents, hope it helps.
I would recommend auditioning different speakers and amps. The Eclipse head units are great. I have an Eclipse head unit, Eclipse amp and Eclipse components up front w/ some JL Audio 6x9's in the rear. I wanted something that sounded great but no sub. I have had the system for almost a year and have received numerous compliments from other audiophiles.

I auditioned the focals when I was purchasing my gear and the salesman really pushed them but I stuck w/ the eclipse components because they sounded much better to me (despite all of the reviews I read to the contrary). Even the salesman was suprised at how great the system sounded once it was installed.

Good luck.
Like several others who have posted, I've had good sound from my Eclipse head unit (tuner w/ single CD). It's used as a preamp only, I've got a Fosgate Punch 400 supplying power to Diamond Audio speakers.