Romulus CD player--

Anyone have any experience with the above product, and or input regarding same?
bluesnbike1954
Grannyring, Hi, Does the signature Romulas auto up-sample red-book cds to 24/192 format?, I do not believe the older stock version Romulas could do the conversion, cheers.
Proprietary DSP:
The DSP section utilizes the Motorola DSP 56362 for our specially designed oversampling filters, which adapt according to the incoming sample rate. Over 1.5 megabytes of static memory buffering is selectively used to completely isolate incoming data from USB and SPDIF from outgoing data to the DAC.
To Grannyring. I had a interesting discussion last night with an AG member selling a Cambridge 840C. I mentioned to him I had no interest in computer audio and the features on the 840C or the newer 851C. He honestly declared that if I had no interest in computer audio, then just stick with my Rega Apollo player because there would be only a marginal improvement in sound quality, and reduction of digital glare with 840C. This type of testimonial about a Rega player should have stopped me dead in my quest for better sound; I know full well the sonic capabilities of the Rega, however, I can't agree with him, and the corollary to my disagreement is I am not comfortable with spending $4000-5000 to make a 15-20% jump in sound quality, IF SOMETHING LIKE THAT CAN BE MEASURED IN PERCENTAGES.

I e-mailed him about the 840C on sale after commenting on this thread about the Romulus. I later realized that his point was probably accurate for the Sony XA5400 ES player highly praised in several magazines. The major improvement in sound quality I am looking may be only had by way of the Romulus, or lest expensive players like Rega Isis ($5600), the Ayre CX7emp2 ($3500), or the ARC CD-5(approx. $5,000). The cited players can be purchased used on AG for less than what you scored the Romulus with upgrades, $4200

This leads me to a point about the Aethetix company and pricing. I have read in TAS that this is virtually a 3-4 man operation working out of a reconverted large garage. One has to think that this mode of production, besides the claim of incorporating mil spec or NASA spec parts, accounts for the $7000 to $10,000 price tags of their CD players. Point to point soldering by one or two technicians must account for high labor costs.

However, there must be a less expensive way to build an equally outstanding CD player for $3000-$4000, that would be almost hafted in priced as a "USED" item on AG.

I never auditioned a player above the $2500 range, and so can't declare upon hearing the Romulus, or even less exalted players "....OMG!!! that is a great freakin CD player". (BTW, the Ayre CX-7emp2 usually sells used for $1600-1800.) Obviously Granny, you may have heard these top dogs I noted, and said fuck it, I will set my sights on the Romulus whether standard or upgraded.

As I see it, companies like Aethetix produce great products at high prices because their rationale is that worn out excuse ".... our products are virtually hand made, using only the best parts, and also directly demonstrate the designer's engineering genius"

Wonderful sentiments, but backward in terms of today's cost efficient production technology. I think great (not just very good) CD players can be produced at lower costs, and therefore offered at a lower retail price.

Sometimes, I think audio enthusiasts and audiophiles romantizise small production operations as a guarantee of outstanding build quality, and of course, outstanding sound that stands far above even less expensive components manufactured on production line. In my opinion, I think this is an unsustainiable myth that functions as a cover for gouging audio customers who want only the best.
Sunny you said a lot above and here are my thoughts.

First I have owned/listened the Apollo, Ayre top of the line player, Cary 306,
Marantz 7s1, one of the top Esoteric models, and several other top end
players. Some I owned, some I sold for audio friends and had them in my
rig for awhile etc....

The Romulus is the best I have owned in terms of drawing me into the
music and not offending with glare.

Now Aesthetix may be small, but that plays a smaller role than you think in
my opinion. If by small you mean people, then I agree. They sell a good
amount of gear however and may have large outside companies making
their boards etc..... You are really paying for the engineering and design.

They are skilled designers, Jim White, and know how to make musical
sounding gear.

That is what you and I pay for. I don't know if they populate all the circuit
boards or if they come from an outside supplier in or outside of the USA. I
just don't know and don't really care. The parts quality and build quality is
very good.

The power supply in the Romulus is something to behold and one of the
reasons it sounds the way it does. I love the design and the designer
knows what he is doing for sure. Ya, we pay for Jim and his knowledge and
electronic innovation.

The building of the unit is just one part, one expense really.

I am not a long time "fan" of the company or anything like that, but know
enough about gear to know this unit is special and well designed.

Is it worth $7,000 to $10,000? Ha! That's really not the question. Fact is it
must be priced this way or it would never be available to audiophiles. We
audiophiles make up a small total population and basic economics demand
a high price must be paid to sustain an esoteric business endeavor like the
Romulus.

Yes great players can be made for less, but they cannot be sold for much
less as the company will not stay in business. The selling price is based on
demand......which is very small. Lowering the price will not bring about
enough new business to offset the loss in margin. No, total net margin
dollars will shrink.

So yes the Romulus is worth it because the business math is the truth
barometer here. Now it is worth it to you or I or Joe next door, well that is a