tube dac

Generally speaking, will a tube dac have a significant impact on a tube pre- power amp system. I have a mf a5 cd player and im looking for a tube pre to match with a pair of ss monoblocks. Speakers are Nola Viper iia. I have been intrigued by the reviews of the Havana DAC.
hawk28
Hawk28,

Tubegroover described the Havana well, I really enjoy the presentation of the dac and while it isn't the last word in detail it really is very musical. Trying out different nos tubes allows for fine tuning. I also upgraded the Dac chips and this does help with the detail and clarity and is well worth doing IMO.
I have considered the Monarchy piece, but I think I'm a little more drawn to the Havana, for whatever reason. Greg, thanks for the corroboration. I will look for a Havana, and look into the chip upgrade. What chip did you upgrade to?
Hawk28,

The chips are from Arrow Electronics here: [email protected]. The part number and Decription is PCM56P-K/DAC 1-CH 16 Pin PDIP Tube. These are the same chip that is in the Havana, just a higher grade which is the K designation. I believe they are about $13.00 each and you need two. They make a good improvement and are a no brainer for the price. Let us know how you like the dac.

Greg
Greg, thanks. I will look into the chips after I secure the Havana in about a month. Im waiting for my preamp to get here.