Squeezebox Line Comes to an End

Just saw this at another forum. While the writing was on the wall, I'm still disappointed.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96190-Squeezebox-Line-Comes-to-an-End-%28quasi-official-confirmation%29
lewinskih01
Just read the threads on the slimdevices forums. There are some great posts from current and former Logitech employees. The new system is incompatible with the SB Touch. Current SB Radios can be upgraded to the new system.
They are going in a completely different direction.
Current SB does not go through the internet for streaming files on a local server, the new system requires the internet.
No random play on the new system.
The current system will be supported for some time due to consumer protection laws.
The software side may be ok for a while longer due to an active community, but there is said to be no new hardware for the current system.
IF even possibly true I would suggest SB fans communicate their displeasure to Logitech.

I will try to read some more when I have time but for now will take any unofficial comments on forums with a grain of salt.

The home audio market is surely not a big target for anyone, but Logitech already has developed viable solutions for that. All they need do is make minimal investment to continue to support it moving forward as they try to broaden their market into mobile applications, which is clearly "where it is at" these days.

If they do not, I would be willing to bet that some savy home audio company, perhaps even one that is popular on a site like this, snatches up the SB technology rights to continue to move forward.

If that does not happen at a minimum, it will be sad day for the future of home audio. CD players and turntables just will not cut it alone anymore these days.
You've said it well, Mapman.

In the end, with all the continued speculation about Logitech's direction, my next iteration of a front end will be a Mac, USB out to my external DAC. I'm tired of guessing and stressing.

I feared this would happen when Sean got greedy and sold. A profound shame in the history of the evolution of digital home audio.
As a 25+ year computer systems and development professional, an audiophile, and a music lover, I strongly believe that the SB system, while not perfect, is too good of a thing to go by the wayside. Someone will recognize the value and choose to invest, if not Logitech. If not, something else similar will take its place.

As long as I do not have to spend time rebuilding my music library down the road to use it, I will be happy. I have taken some precautions to avoid that. We'll see...
One other thing worth mentioning is that I think the Squeezebox/Logitech MEdia Server software itself has accumulated a lot of baggage and complexity over the years as the related technologies has evolved. I have noticed the pace of automated software updates to have slowed in recent months and have not seen a new one in a few months. The time might be right for Logitech to take a fresh start with the server software regardless of what devices are offered. Once/if they do, I would be very surprised if the more recent Squeeze devices would not be supported, although I expect the main focus would be to support the newer devices that are current or planned for the future, which I would hope to include an even better SB TOuch-like device. A DAC less such device would seem like a no brainer. Even lower cost than Touch perhaps + audiophiles probably want to use their own favorite DAC and resulting sound anyhow.