Metrum Octave versus Eastern Electric DAC

I own an Eastern Electric DAC, the older one with volume control, no mods. Have any of you in the community compared these two units? Would I be better off doing the op amp upgrade, buy the newest EE with upgrades?

I have enjoyed the EE and like it well enough, but I am curious about the Metrum. I would like slightly more warmth, more fullness, a little more meat and bones, without losing any of the detail I now enjoy.
mikirob
Last Friday I had the opportunity to compare my Metrum Octave to my buddy's AMR DAP-777 in my own system and the results were somewhat surprising. The Metrum had a more forward presentation and was a bit more textured while the AMR was sweeter and more laid back. Generally speaking the AMR was preferred with acoustic or simple vocal driven stuff (i.e. civil wars) but I actually preferred the Metrum with blues, rock and male voices!

In both cases the differences weren't huge and as my friend put it, the two units were too close for comfort.

The transport was my Bolder modified Squeezebox Touch with Bolder (music railed) PSU. We're planning on doing the comparo again at his house with his rig, and the transport will be the LampizatOr Transport (heavily modified Sqeezebox Duet with tube spdif out).
i sold the minimax, but did not replace it, as o own sevral tubed cd players, and the ps audio pwd and pet.
After reading Gophers response the Metrum must be similar to the EE Minimax +
I'm comparing the EE to the AMR DP 777 with the same conclusion
Hope I'm doing the right thing getting the AMR..........
After reading Gophers response the Metrum must be similar to the EE Minimax +
I'm comparing the EE to the AMR DP 777 with the same conclusion
Hope I'm doing the right thing getting the AMR..........
I have the Metrum in the system now and am enjoying it a lot. I have not A/B'd it against the EE Plus as I'm waiting to break it in properly. I also just added a new Pre-Amp into my sytem, so the enjoyment factor could be the Pre or the Metrum or the synergy between them. Right now I can say that the imaging, sound stage, and overall tone has never been better in my system.

Right now I am using a Mac Mini-->Twin Impact Dac/Converter (Dac off) w/ Kora PSU-->digital cable-->Metrum Octave-->Allnic L-3000A Pre-->Art Audio Px-25--> Zu Defintion mk III.

I'm also trying to put together a shootout in the next few weeks between the NAD, the Metrum, the EE Plus with Sonic Frontier Opamps, and if we can find a PWD we will add that in the mix. Will keep you updated.