Metrum Octave versus Eastern Electric DAC

I own an Eastern Electric DAC, the older one with volume control, no mods. Have any of you in the community compared these two units? Would I be better off doing the op amp upgrade, buy the newest EE with upgrades?

I have enjoyed the EE and like it well enough, but I am curious about the Metrum. I would like slightly more warmth, more fullness, a little more meat and bones, without losing any of the detail I now enjoy.
mikirob
Mrtennis,

I used a 1950s Mullard Longplate in my Minimax, which was an excellent tube. Don't get me wrong the EE DACs were awesome--very competent, but I believe I prefer the Octave. It is a little tough to say due to the fact that I've had a lot of variables to my system change between the two dacs.

That said--discrete tube output or not, I think the sabre32 is intrinsically more analytical then most NOS offerings.
I assume you mean the Shuguang Psvane? Funny... I own that tube as well and disliked it compared to the Mullard. The Siemens Silverplate was also much better.
Gopher, nice system. I hope to move to either Shindo or Leben soon from my Cary 280v in my main rig.
hi d patterson:

i have been thinking about what you said. the fact that i have not heard the metrum octave.
i think however, that you missed my point.

let me put it in another context.

i would say that i would make you a bet. the terms as follows:

i will pick my favorite tube dac, you can pick your favorite ss dac. design a blind test, and i will prefer the tube dac every time.

now let's apply this to the quesrion raised by thread, namely the minimax vs the octave.

what i was trying to say is that i would guarantee i would prefer the minmax, because i could select my favorite tube, perhaps, change some caps and op amps, over the metrum octave.

such a statement is an expression of my preference for tubed devices over solid state based devices, regardless of the component.

thus i would probably subscribe to the adage "solid state is an unpleasant state".

so i will admit my predilection for tubes does not require me to audition a solid state compoent.

there are a few instances where i can enjoy a solid state dac.

for example, i am using a vinvincent cd s6 tube cd player as a transport connected to a ps audio perfect wave dac, linked by an spdif cable. however, i would prefer the original zanden or original lector.

the reason i can live with the aforementioned components is the interconnect from the dac to a tube preamp. i am using fusion audio romance gold stranded cable.

the cable counteracts the objectionable qualities of the dac. you could also say the cable, colors the sound.

this situation does not change my original statement about tubed vs ss components. i have just found a way to overcome the objectionable qualities of solid state.

i