Upgrade CD player or get into LPs? Suggestions

Folks

I've now enjoyed my system for about 2 years now, and starting to think about upgrading or adding to it. Any thoughts of what I should do to increase my listening experience?

Should I upgrade my CDP? Or, change my entire experience by getting into LPs? If upgrade, any CDP suggestions that is below $5k (new)? If LPs, what are the beginners+ TT to consider (one added plus is that my current preamp handles phono)?? Thoughts?

Thanks,

Current system:
Cary 303/100 CD player
Audible Illusions 3A preamp
BAT 75SE
Dali 800 MKII
Synergistic Research Galileo speaker cells
BASIK strings I/Cs
broken
I owned 303/100 for about ten years and I just purchased B stock marantz sa-11s2 cdp for 1900 from Music Derict with a 30 day return policy.This is a discontinued model that listed for around 3600,it looks perfect and is nice upgrade from the cary.
About 6 months ago bought a music hall 5.1se tt and more recently a Ray Samuels Nighthawk phono stage and I'm loven vinyl.I feel I am set on cdp but I'm already thinking about upgrading my table.
Maybe you can do both
Do it all.
I would buy a budget turntable to dip into vinyl. Vinyl is a new paradigm for you, and there are software issues (you may not be able to find playable lps of the music that you want to listen to). An entry level Rega or Pro-Jett, or Thorens table can be had for a few hundred, and remember to budget for a phono pre amp. If you get into vinyl then upgrade in the future.
With the remaining funds I would by a CDP with good digital inputs so that you can branch into computer audio. Basically you would look for a good DAC that also spins CDs.
I take for granted you do realize nobody can answer this question for you, but rather provide some food for thought. How much do you value the availability of online music? Or the flexibility digital streaming enables? Or the ritual of selecting a CD (or an LP, for that matter) and playing it? Or toying with mechanical setup of a vinyl rig? Only you can answer that.

Having said that, here's my take: I pondered around this a while back too. Freeing up funds for me is not easy and I marvel at the improved sound a great system provides, rather than being fascinated by various media. Plus I live overseas where CDs/LPs/Hi-rez availability is limited. So I'm focusing on playing files only with the best components I can afford throughout the chain. Unlike vinyl, which is a mature technology, and CDs, which I consider mature too, playing files is nascent so I prefer not to spend big bucks there anyway. $1k today buys digital playback performance we couldn't dream about 5 years ago, and I bet this evolution pace will continue for a while. So I upgraded speakers, then amp, then preamp, cables, got myself a Squeezebox Touch (great!) and now will get a DAC. Plus significant work on room accoustics.

I would love to eventually get into vinyl, but that will have to wait. Do you own many LPs? Does the music you like come in vinyl?

If I wanted to upgrade my CD player and had your budget, I would probably buy a used Esoteric X03SE. Can't comment on vinyl. Maybe get a DAC and use your Cary as transport + experiment with files?
Do you own several hundred records in perfect condition? Do you want to go from a quiet background to clicks and pops? Instead of buying a turntable look for an early ('85-'89) Magnavox CD player. Leave it on for several days and you will think you are listening to a turntable with a MM cartridge without the clicks and pops.
"Do you own several hundred records in perfect condition? Do you want to go from a quiet background to clicks and pops? Instead of buying a turntable look for an early ('85-'89) Magnavox CD player. Leave it on for several days and you will think you are listening to a turntable with a MM cartridge without the clicks and pops."

That is so ridiculous, it's hard to know where to start....

Nothing is going to sound like vinyl, but vinyl. I love my digital rig and enjoy it often. But it doesn't sound as good as my WT Amadeus, nor should it. Don't listen to these naysayers, especially not the one I quoted above. You have a good cdp, spend the money on a good turntable and preamp then start hitting the used record stores. You will be glad you did.

Shakey