As file resolution goes up sound level goes down?

I've downloaded files (e.g., HDTracks) in various resolutions and I've noticed something strange. I'm getting sound level differences between files of different resolutions.

For example, my Turntable front end has plenty of gain, but when I switch to CD I have to turn up the volume a little more to get the same level. If I play 96kHz/24-bit files I need to turn it up even more. Finally, I just got Marley's Legend in 192kHz/24-bit, and I have to turn it up even further.

This reminds me of when I play a Chesky record, I have to turn things up. What's up?
kennythekey
Getting more efficient speakers is moving in the right direction.Kenny you`re making the correct choice if you plan to keep the current amplifier.
Thanks guys, It sure is adding up to new speakers, but the cash isn't adding up as quickly as I like to get there.

Swanney has a good point because my DAC's output is 2.5 volts compared to his 4.5 volts, while my phono stage is high ouput to work with any preamp.

I can try an alternative, as I heard back from the builder of my amp, Sam Kim. He thinks I can raise the gain by adding caps myself. I am pretty good with a soldering iron, so maybe worth a try.
Is the symptom that (a)you can't get enough volume with the volume control turned all the way up, or (b)that you encounter clipping and/or distortion on musical peaks with the hi rez material, at volume control settings that are below maximum?

If the latter, increasing the gain will not help, assuming (as is likely) that what is running out of headroom is the amplifier. The exact same problem would occur, at the same perceived volume level, except that you would reach that point at a lower setting of the control.

Regards,
-- Al
Al, Not enough volume. Actually, not too bad with 96/24 files, but 192/24 sound flat, like they resist giving me their information even though I turn the volume up. I'm not getting distortion. So, diminishiing returns as the volume goes up.

BTW - For my Thiels they are using a custom 3-ohm tap.
Hmm, that sounds like even though you are not clipping the amp to a degree that is clearly perceptible as such, it still may be running out of steam, perhaps as a result of degraded linearity as it approaches its maximum power capability, and/or as it reaches the point of "soft clipping" that tube amps are noted for. So I'm still not certain that a gain increase would be a solution.

Regards,
-- Al