AMR 77.1 cd player and your thoughts

I demoed a 77 version and I have on the wat a 77.1 version

Some questions for owners of this pce;

1. Anyone hear the two, if so what sonic differences did you hear between them.

The unit comes with a pair of IC's in rca configuration and power cable.

2. Do you just use these or have you done any comparison's trying other manufactures or xlr vs the rca sent for example, if so and what were the sonic differences.

3. What do have you placed under your unit for isolation and what were the sonic differences.

4. My unit is brand new so sonic wise during break-in what should I expect.

5. Does it sound good new right out of the box.

6. Any tips on break-in method.

7. Offers different filters, what do you find is your prefered setting while listening and why.

8. Hooking up an external pce such as an I-pad "which I would like to use" for example, what do I need to do and how does it sound in comparison to playing cd's. Taking into consideration I'm after best sonic results.

Thanks
dev
Hi Dev,

Hope things have been good with you, we have not talked in a long time. You kinda have surprised me on this one. I just a couple of weeks ago heard the AMR DP-777 in a very good system that quite frankly sounded pretty rotten even compared to less then a reference level inexpensive DAC. Regardless of what filter was engaged it lacked dynamics, robbed the system of life and shrank the soundstage.

With you coming from the AA reference Tube Hybrid DAC and the MBL reference transport, I know you sold it off and went completely analog, it's interesting that you find the AMR any were close in performance to your old digital front end. In the latest edition of the STEREOPHILE, Art Dudley went ga-ga over the DP-777, well it was not my cup of sonic joy at all, so go figure.

It would be great to hear from you, give me a call, about this if I can give you any information you are looking for. Since, I have such respect for your taste and your ear's regarding what sounds superlative in high end gear, maybe something was wrong with the DAC that was being used for the audition. However, when AMR came out with their highly regarded first generation player I also found it to be just OK, so maybe it's just my personal taste towards this digital type of sound.
Hi Audiofanki,

I'm looking for actual owners thoughts.

You being a dealer why not disclose such and if you have constructive information provide such otherwise why post.

Hi Teajay,

nice to hear from you. Yes that's correct I sold my reference set off because by far my vinyl set-up is my preference and my pces were just collecting dust but I still have a nice collection of cd's that are not available on vinyl which I would like to listen to once and a while, also when individules come over whom bring along those shiny disc's wanting to listen I would like to accommodate.

I was looking for a single unit, not an easy task once you have owned such "both of us" pces, I wasn't concentrating on a direct comparison of such.

I auditioned a few single units, I never listened to the dac you make reference to above because I had no interest in two pces. again along with the real estate they take up although due to the small size I did hear the dcs puccini and clock. I did not like it, Audio Research I would like to hear their REF8 along with the Esoteric K-01. These will happen down the road possibly.

So time will tell.

My auditioning of the single unit player, I never had any issues you mention above otherwise I would not have purchased the 77.1 player. You left me scratching my head reading such, don't know what to say. We will see once I get it and burned in, if I don't like it and prefer something else then I'll move on but what I heard was pretty darn nice.
Hello Dev,

You mentioned you have a new unit on the way - thus, it would not be my place to step on your dealers toes - so to speak.

All AMR dealers should be *very* well versed in both the break in, presentation, sonic differences with power and interconnects, as well as between the 77, 77.1, and the DP-777.

The comment wasn't meant to be snide, rather matter of fact - as that should be your first line of inquiry.

By all means feel to inquire as to others opinions and experiences.

If you would like me to share mine, I would be happy to assist and you can email me directly at [email protected]

You have a stellar digital front end coming. Of course that is my opinion, and I do tend to lean toward the analog side of things in my personal preferences.
Hi Audiofankj,

okay that's fine but why not just post your thoughts, you seem to be taking the time reading threads and specifically this one along with responding, you have now replied twice to this thread and so far no been constructive in answering any of my questions.

I thought the main objective of these forumns was to share experiences and opinions.

If you are a dealer and as you write along with mentioning All AMR dealers should be "very well versed" then I assume you are so why not just share this information.

Why so secretive? and wanting me to email you personally.

All you would have to do is at the bottom of your posting is mention dealer disclosure.

I'm sure if you are as well versed as you write above your information provided would be most appreciated by other AMR owners whom just read these threads but don't actually post, in the end only makes you look good.

I think the OP will love the CD-77.1 (BTW it's their top model, as opposed to the lesser 777 series slagged by another poster above).

I am using the stock power cord, but not the interconnects - did not audition them or find them wanting, but rather like to mainatin consistency throughout my system (Crystal Cable ICs and speaker cables). Mine sits on a carbon fiber F1 shelf of my Grand Prix Audio Monaco Modular stand.

Come back and share your thoughts after you've burned it in.