What is the best transport?

I want to upgrade my transport. I am using the Audio Note CDT 2. My dac is the Audio Note 2.1x sig. I have not yet auditioned any new transports, but have read up on the Audio Note CDT 4 and the Esoteric P-03.

Both of these are in the 16-18k price range. My budget can go that high. Will my dac be good enough or be overpowered?

What else is available which should be considered?
Ag insider logo xs@2xchangeout
Audioengr,

No, I have been using computers and printers since the DOS days and have had an iPod since the first Windows version, so I am not a tech Neanderthal, as you may be suggesting. I also had the first 16 bit CD player - the Magnavox CDB 650. After playing around with it, I just concluded computer audio is way too complicated and trouble prone for the ordinary (non-audio engineer) music listener. Too many hardware and software pieces that often do not work together. Maybe in a few years the kinks will be worked out. Just one man's educated opinion.

Neal
Howdy Jfreh, I have not thought of dCS, but the heads up on the price point is interesting, I had always been under the impression that dCS was more expensive.

Audioengr, I am a mechanical engineer with a PE. I work with computers all day every day. I would consider myself tech oriented. Not techie.

At night and other off hours I am more interested in relaxation than doing another analysis. However, I am reading youe web pages and considering your products.

This thread is helpful with several good inputs,

thanks to everyone,
At the highest level there are really just two simple parts to computer-based music. First, ripping, tagging and storing your music files into a central location. Tools like dbpoweramp, mp3tag and exact audio copy make the process fairly straightforward and automated. I actually find the process fun, but it can be time consuming and I can see how some might find it tedious. Difficult, however, I just can't agree with

Second is the transport part. How do you get these files to play on your stereo. The simplest way may be to just connect the computer you store the files on via USB to your dac. If your dac only has s/pdif you can use a USB to spdif bridge. Fire up your software and voila, instant jukebox. the computer is your transport. The other alternative is a networked player, for instance squeezebox touch or transporter or auraliti, Marantz, etc. this route is great also, the player is your transport, but it can be slightly trickier to configure.

I'm just clarifying here, not proselytizing. Do what makes you happy. I just don't buy that it's difficult.

As far as which is better, I guess only your ears will tell but I recommend trying or auditioning both before ruling either out.
I would sell my Teac Esoteric P0vus if you are interested in. It is over 70lbs. massive unit. I can send you more details with photos if you wish,
changeout, the other benefit to the dCS transports is they can up sample and you do have dual firewire that outputs pure dsd (but I do think you need a dsd dsc here as it's a proprietary link)

upsampling redbook cd seems a big improvement in my dCS Puccini and U-Clock...but opinions/technology vary here....