Need Advice On A Network Music Player

I want to get into Hi Rez music downloads and need a player to make that possible. My initial research has identified the following as serious possibilities, but I can find no comparison reviews or anything to clearly differentiate them:

Logitech Squeeze Box Touch - $234.00

Cambridge Audio - Sonata NP30 - $599.00

Marantz - NA7004 - Network Audio Player - $799.99

Bryston - BDP-1 - Digital Media Player - $2195.00

My real concern is identifying what gives the best bang for the buck and still provides high quality sound output. The only purpose that I will be using this for is Hi Rez music downloads from HD Tracks, and some higher res music via USB thumb drives (such as the Complete Beatles Collection). I've read very positive reviews of all of these, but again, nothing comparing them in any way, so its extremely hard to gauge.

The only two concerns are that I have used Squeezebox software previously (when I owned a Transporter) and found it more difficult to use than I wanted to deal with, and hated the connection problems getting to their site. That's a negative to buying equipment from them. Also, over at the Hi Rez forum, they have many threads about how you have to spend about $400.00 modifying the Touch to get optimal sound. As far as the Bryston, as expensive as it is, Stereophile noted that the sound quality from it's USB input was not as good, and that would be a great concern for me.

I have Bryston BDA-1 DAC available for use with whatever I purchase. Any thoughts, recommendations, and expertise would be appreciated. I'm completely new to this game and could use the help. Thanks.
nightfall
I have the bryston bdp as well as dac using bd power amp for all
Library duties and ripping to get the best out of it you need good power cords, as well as USB and digital cables I am using Wireworld platinums
With superb results. Also the Hifi tuning Supreme fuses are a nice touch for added resolution.I will be selling my Bryston dac next week if Anyone
May be interested,like new with 4.5 years left inthe warranty.
Why I amI selling ? I purchased the Ayon Skylla-2 which I feel even betters the Weiss 202 dac. The bryston is superb at this price though
I would add Linn sneaky DS. May be more musical compared to the ones already listed. Sneaky DS is also an integrated amp, a great starter system, which you can later move to a second system.
Bobaudet,

I can assure you your latest $900 entry level DAC will never sound like/better than a Klimax DS, which is already a few years old. There isn't a DAC introduced since the introduction of Klimax DS that has surpassed it. Klimax DS is updated all the time via firmware upgrades (not counting the 1 board upgrade since introduction) - the latest firmware does sound better than the very early ones.

Have you ever heard a $20K CDP from 10-15 years ago? You should, it will certainly blow your latest/greatest/"bestest" DAC you can find on the market today that sells for $900.
Touch + outboard DAC = hard to beat for internet radio and CD quality digital.

I am skeptical about the merit of downloadable high res audio files still these days. Larger high res files does not automatically equate to better sound. HD tracks does not provide any info about how their offerings are mastered last I checked, so how does one know what to expect? You might be buying all the extra expense and headaches of larger high res files for little or no benefit. ITs a crap shoot when the seller does not provide any details other than end file resolution. ANyone can take a standard mp3 file and upsample it to the highest resolution possible. Will that sound better? A little different maybe but you cannot add detail and resolution that is not there to start.

But for hires, if that's what you want, there may be differences in teh devices capabilities. TOuch specs for this are available. Not the highest but respectable as I recall. Check this for all and compare to determine value.
A stupid question perhaps, and sorry if I'm hijacking...

Can you connect a USB hard drive directly to the Squeezebox Touch, or does it solely work by streaming? If you can connect directly without any computer running, this changes the advice I previously had.