The amazing new Marigo Evolution Signature Mat

I want to share my amazingly positive experience with the new Marigo Evolution Signature CD Mat. I have used Marigo's CD mats over the years from their very first offering, I believe about fifteen or so years ago. The Evolution Signature mat is the fourth iteration of the Marigo mat. Each successive "generation" had wrought positive improvements from my Mark Levinson Reference 31.5 transport. (While the top loading Levinson comes with its own CD clamp, I have ordered parts from Levinson and have made my own CD clamp, substituting their carbon fiber disk for your Marigo mat.) The latest Evolution Signature mat's improvement is so substantial that it is a larger "jump" in performance than from the standard Levinson clamp to the last generation "3D Signature V2" mat!
I hear a startling increase in the focus of imaging placement within the sound stage. The focus of everything in that sound stage is both tighter and possesses a three dimensional body that most digital simply lacks. Tone saturation is richer. The bass not only goes deeper, but is more tuneful as well. The highs are better defined and extended. The mid range is the icing on the cake. Voices are much better defined and clarified, combined with the improvement in density of tone and harmonic texture now sound shockingly real and alive. The sense of space and performance venue is greatly improved as well.

Overall the music has so much more of a relaxed quality to it similar to that of master tape analogue that allows me to simply listen to the music and not work as hard having my brain trying to connect the "digital dots". The increased resolution, focus, dynamics, detail, sense of space, articulation, and what I would call a "continuousness" of saturated tone, all combine to literally transform my digital playback to a level that I have never experienced before! I know that this must seem like hyperbole. The overall improvement is SHOCKING!

In the context of my high end system the $200 that I had paid for Evolution Signature mat that replaced the Reference V2 mat, was the cheapest money that I have ever spent for the most improvement in my system!

If anyone has a Reference V2 mat, they may be loathe to replace it, as it is most excellent. I can tell you from first hand experience, that the new Evolution signature mat is on a whole different and much higher level of sonic improvement.

For anyone has never tried a Marigo CD mat or any mat for that matter, this is the one to have. This is not just a simple "tweak", this is an essential and basically "give away" priced in terms of the substantial sonic upgrade that truly must be experienced to be believed. In the context of my high end audio system, this is making an improvement that I did not think possible and at a price that was ridiculously low. Based on my listening experience, this may be the biggest bargain in audio today!
coopersark
I find the OP believable but sounds a bit like an advertisement. Over the years I've found different isolation under different components can make a big difference. At present I've found my Ayre CD5MP prefers a carbon fiber base while my Audio Research DAC8 insists on being directly coupled to the two inch thick stand shelf.
hi all ! We used to just put two cd's in the drawer and listen that way , yup made a difference . Then I got a metal disc from discwasher , went on top of the cd ...and yup that made an audible difference also.Dont know what happened to the discwaser disc and I dont remember the last time I loaded 2 cd's in the drawer .It changed the sound , just not for the better or worse .
Hi Coopershark,

I came upon this thread and feel somewhat compelled to respond. For the record, absent the Martin Logan Club, I rarely post on other websites. I like the MLC site because, amongst other things, the vast majority of folks are respectful and thoughful. After reading this and if you so choose, you can see my system on a similar thread I started on this very topic.

Google Martin Logan Club. Goto the MLC home page, click on the "Off Topic Audio Video" section and see the "Silly, stupid bargain" thread. I, like Cooper, wanted to share my personal observation on the new Evo Sig mat. Not because I have any personal interests in Marigo Audio but because I firmly believe this product offers substantial value for the money. As an aside, I think Ron is an individual with impeccable integrity and offers products based on defensible science.

For those who don't wish to do this, my system consists of the MBL 116 speakers, Conrad Johnson Premier 18 LS preamp, the Cary Audio 306 CD / SACD CDP, and a Pass Labs X250.5 amplifier. I'm listing only to provide some frame of reference.

Having recently received my 306 back from Ron Hedrick, who did some modifications, he asked if he could include his new mat for auditioning. I agreed on the basis that I could return it if I didn't care for the product. I had the previous Signature 3D Stabilizer V2 and had mixed results. I still use it on my DVD player.

Over the past week or so, I did some A/B (with and without) on about ten different occasions. I've since stopped since the results were consistent in all cases. That being an easily heard improvement in all aspects of sonic performance. Richer, more saturated tonal structure, improved soundstaging / dimensionality, and the ability to hear much deeper into the music. To summarize, a substantial increase in the overall musicality of my system.

For the record, I listen mainly to classical and jazz although I do occasionally enjoy Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Parov Stelar, Richard Thompson, Anni DeFranco, and others.

I do wonder about the relevance of a systems ability to provide a transparent / articulate presentation and its relationship to how easy or difficult it is to hear what this product does. My sense is that any "credible" system will benefit from this accessory. If your system has an overly warm presentation, you may have the opposite reaction that I've had regarding the efficacy of this device.

For me and in my system, it's an absolute no brainer and an extreme value. I would advise everyone to give this accessory a "test drive". You may be pleasantly surprised what $200 has to offer.

From reading the various posts, my sense is that there are those who disavow any product of this genre. And there are those who apparently have posted who have never auditioned this device. I don't quite understand how any credible person can do this but .........what do I know.

And for those who believe they will hear an improvement just because one has made a change in the system, all I can say is that's why you have two ears. I've been involved in this wonderful hobby for some 35 years and I believe I've reached the point where I can distinguish BS from the real deal, that being system musicality and connecting emotionally with the music.

I will gladly respond to anyone who wishes to post in a respectful manner. I will not respond to people who make gross generalizations without any objective basis for doing so.

Happy listening and Happy New Year to all.

GG
GG,

I had just read your post on the ML site and the threads...It is amazing that guys will negatively comment based on anything but first hand experience! This is the fourth iteration of Ron's Marigo mat. I have found each successive generation an improvement, but with this one, Ron had hit the ball out of the park! If a listener hears a dulling of his audio system as a result of using this mat, then there is something wrong with that system as it is not neutral or resolved.

Now that I have been using this mat in both of my systems for several weeks, I have found the tonal signature to be like that of a good moving magnet or moving iron cartridge, as opposed to a moving coil with a hyped up high frequency emphasis. However, the sound staging and imaging is stupendous! I swear that I have another five feet of additional sound stage width on both sides of my listening room with much more resolution and sonic alignment of what is going on within that stage. The sense of the venue of the performance has never been so strong or apparent! (I use Magico Q5's and they perfectly couple to my room - The Q5's bass performance is second to none in its speed and resolution.) I have never experienced digital sounding so pleasurable, detailed, smooth, or accurate.

Until recently I was ready to upgrade my digital system. I am not in such a hurry now. I can easily live with what I have for several years to come and patiently wait for the state of the digital art to advance before I take another plunge.

I think that we are similar in that we are experienced audiophiles and that the panacea is not necessarily in changing our equipment, but rather tuning and refining what we already own and enjoy. I know that I have invested a lot of time, experience, and money into my main system. It was carefully thought out - from the listening room, to the speakers in that room, to the isolated electric delivery to that room, to the components themselves, to the cabling that connects the components, and to the control of vibration. Everything in that system has a purpose and was chosen to work in perfect harmony with everything else. I am loth to change for the sake of change.

The addition of the new Evolution Signature mat only served to confirm the positive and synergistic choices that I had made. Our hobby is about having some fun and enjoying music.
This little mat has taken that enjoyment to a whole new level.

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I my only wish is that some audiophiles will read what we had written and try this new mat, particularly when they have resolving systems. Perhaps they will be as enthusiastic as you and I as to its efficacy. Please have a Happy New Year as well!

With all my best,
Coopersark
Hi Coop,

One thing I may have not emphasized enough. I believe that the benefits of the mat (and the ability to hear the increased musicality thereof) are linear to the resolving power of the system.

That's why I recommend a "test drive" to determine if the cost is worth the value.

Best,

GG