Mac Mini vs. CDP?

So....finally got a new Mac Mini and got it all set up with some CD's ripped lossless to Itunes. The Mac is feeding a Rega DAC via USB. A Oppo 981 DVD player is also feeding the Rega via the RCA-coax (using Cardas).

Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" was used for this test.

I cued up the CD and Mac and switched between them. At first I thought it was identical, but with a few minutes I could hear that the MAC's presentation was decidedly dull and lifeless sounding. The CDP/Rega combo sounded more open and live. I tried a few more tracks and heard the same thing. So I called my buddy (he owns a big rig of ARC and Vandersteen stuff) and he echoed my findings using the W4S DAC 2.

So what's up here? I've heard people claim Mac via USB is a match for a CDP. It seems like it should be....Ideas?

Rob
robbob
Not sure that there are any hard and fast answers to this one. In my experience, different USB cables made little (if any) appreciable difference in my system. This may be DAC-dependant, and differ depending on the tech they use in the USB interface (I'm on the receiving end of the asynchronus tech developed by Wavelength as licensed to and employed in an Ayre QB-9). I've read that this tech may be more ambivalent to differing grades of USB cable. That's been my experience, but haven't explored at great length and there's no saying (at least not by me) whether this translates at all to other DACs.

Generally, though, Mini-as-transport can certainly punch with the big boys, no matter how you shake it. That said, absolutely correct that there is a whole lot that can be tweaked and improved. Out-of-the-box, plug-and-play, I don't think one should expect a Mini to blow the doors off. But with some care and tweaking, they're no joke.

Oh, and one more thing: don't rule out high-rez stuff yet. I've just begun to experiment with genuine high-rez stuff (with the correct output rate adjusted so that it's run native from the mini to the DAC), and it can be pretty darn impressive. Don't have an opinion about upsampling (other than I don't do it, I try to make sure things are run native into the DAC), but a well recorded high-rez track (the most I have currently is 24/88, but the Ayre will run up to 24/196, I think) is really much better than standard redbook. I'm far from an expert, not even a particularly well educated enthusiast yet, but I have been very, very impressed by the little I've gotten my hands on.
I use the headphone/toslink out of the mac mini and was underwhelmed at first also. Files are ripped AIFF ripped with correction on. Dac is the PS Audio DLIII. What brought this combination to life for me was the addition of a Monarchy Audio DIP. It made a very noticeable difference.
Even though I prefer my Resolution Audio cdp to the mac mini, I now listen to the mac a bit more as it's so dang convenient.
I'm glad to see Ultra_fi repost that link. I saw it before but never got around to trying it out. This weekend for sure.
A fellow Goner emailed me to make me aware that the Amarra software is buggy from his experience with the Mac Mini. When it comes time to make a software purchase I will likely go with some other software like Puremusic to improve the performance of the Mac Mini.
Robbob - I tunes does not rip bit perfect - even with error correction on. Use program like MAX (free) with "do not allow to skip" option set ON. It refuses or takes very long time (reading same sector multiple times until right checksum is obtained) ripping some CDs that Itunes rips fast (In general, scratches along the CD up to 4mm are error corrected but between 4-8mm are interpolated). On the other hand CDP cannot go many times over the same sector, operating in real time.

I would suspect that what you call lifeless sounding can be in reality cleaner sounding. Sound with very small amount of noise or distortion always appears livelier and more dynamic (like distorted guitar to clean Jazz guitar at the same volume). I enjoy very much clean sound of my MacMini to jitter suppressing Benchmark DAC1, while others call it lifeless, sterile, analytical. There is no right or wrong here but it my case I did not enjoy it at first - have learned to listen (I guess).
I use a Resolution Audio Cantata with a Mach 2 Mac Mini, Pure Music, and a Cardas Clear USB cable and can't hear a difference between a cd and the Mac Mini. I do hear a difference when playing 96/24 files. Flac, .wav, and aiff files sound the best. I have found that the little things make a big difference in computer based audio. A powered hard drive, the USB port used, enough memory, etc.