PS Audio PerfectWave DAC Upgrade

Paul McGowan has leaked some information about a major upgrade the perfectwave DAC that will be coming out within the next few weeks. Pricing as of yet unknown, but current units will be field (DIY) upgradable.

Apparently, major changes were made to the digital processing board, involving changes in the powersupplies, and replacement of CMOS switching for the gates and clocking with analog switches.

Second, new jitter reducing circuitry called NativeX was implemented.

There are more as of yet unannounced new features.

Apparently, SQ on all inputs will benefit, including the bridge. Exciting stuff.
edorr
Mr T, you raise some good points and from your perspective, we will have to wait and see.

The MK II upgrade does add an asynchronous USB path capable of handling up to 24/192. That, while interesting to the computer audiophile, doesn’t mean as much to the dedicated Bridge user, but it is certainly interesting just the same. What is of most interest, is the addition of a new Digital Lens with the “Native X” feature, which will purportedly reduce jitter levels to below 1 pico second.

While reducing (with the goal of eliminating) jitter can never be a bad thing (and in itself, if implemented properly, should not result in a more “digital” sound – as I believe you have some concerns), my concern is that this new lens will have more impact (benefit) on the inputs other than the Bridge (since the Bridge also incorporates a Digital lens). According to Paul McGowan, the new Digital Lens will also benefit the Bridge input (again, we’ll have to wait and see).

According to PS-Audio, additional upgrades and attention have been given to the analog path, with new high speed analog switches replacing the previous saturated logic switches. Additionally, 11 new spot regulators have been added to the circuit layout. Again, according to Paul McGowan, all this new design work is purportedly said to result in a much more analog-like sound than what the MK I version currently provides. And since this would by definition mean “less digital-sounding,” it is here that we PS-A fans and converts put our money – literally.
regarding jitter, i have an interesting experience to report.

several years ago, a friend of mind and i compared commercial cds with the same titles mastered by bmg.

we both heard differences between the two masterings.

the bmg version was less dynamic, less focused, softer, but more listenable, as a slight veil, mitigated the nastiness of some poorly recorded cds.

i preferred the bmg version.

we sent the bmg discs, to chesky, to be analyzed by dick katz, who was, at the time, the recording engineer.

he sent back the discs with a note suggesting that the bmg discs had more jitter.

this experience led to conjecture that more jitter is not always more unpleasant than less jitter.

in addition, when using the term more analogue, it doesn't necessarily mean more tube-like, softer in the treble and less focused.

the term, "digital" may refer to frequency response aberrations, especially in the treble.

in additiopn, as i have said, having followed the evolution of the products of ps audio, they tend to make improvements in the direction of greater resolution and transparency.
an example will illustrate my thesis.

my friend purchased ps audio's first, top-of-the line digital cable (coax), while i purchased the second version, also, top-of-the-line.

when comparing the digital cables, both of us preferred the earlier version, as it was more full bodied and balanced.

while many appreciate such an approach, i am concerned that if i am accurate in my prediction, the upgrade may improve the sound of well-recorded cds but reveal the flaws in poor quality discs.

thus, a trade-off will be created giving the listener some improvements, but perhaps, also including some degradation in sound, depending upon sound quality.

in any case, i have received good advise to wait for reports from those who have acquired and listened to the affects of the upgrade, before considering purchasing thee upgrade.
Well, I hope in the case of the MK II upgrade, that your hypothesis, Mr. T, is not correct. I understand what you are suggesting, but my understanding of jitter is that it typically causes an etched and "tinny-sounding" treble that is often fatiguing due to upper-frequency harshness and often sited as the primary cause of "that digital sound." To me, this has nothing to do with resolution and clarity.

One thing for certain, is that Paul McGowan is an admitted analog guy who still considers good vinyl playback as the standard. He has also said that he prefers the warm "tube-like" sound (when done properly) over even today's typical digital sound. So one can hope that his idea of analog-sounding digital playback is on par with what most audiophiles seek.

It may be marketing hype. Again, we'll have to wait to find out. Certainly though, $800.00 isn't a lot to spend in this hobby and if the outcome is close to what the claims are being made by Mr. McGowan, then it will be money well spent.
Mr. Tennis, basing your purchase decision on an $800 upgrade with a full money back guarantee on "reports" from others, stikes me as misguided. Just get the upgrade, hear for yourself and send it back if you don't like it.
PS Audio describes in detail the changes that it has made to its digital board (the upgrade) and the benefits derived. Just go to PS Audio and click on the MKII Upgrade link in the upper right hand corner of the homepage.