Upgrade from Rotel RCD-1072

This thread is for those of you who sold your Rotel RCD-1072 CD players and upgraded. What did you folks upgrade to in the way of a higher end CDP and was it an upgrade with significant improvement and a stark difference in fidelity, soundstage, detail, etc? Thanks.
pdn
I'm using a Neko Audio D100 external DAC and it made a huge improvement over the Rotel player. The RCD-1072 is a good budget player for the money but its musical presentation is pretty colored and on the dry side of things. I didn't realize this until I compared it with the Neko which is so natural and effortless itself, but that's what a $1200 DAC gets you. If I never heard the Neko, I'd still be happy with the Rotel.
I got rid of my 1072 and went back to my Marantz CD63-SE + (original) MSB Link DAC. I never warmed up to the Rotel. Later I added a Denon 2910 universal player and then I replaced the Marantz with a NAD M5 CD/SACD player. I'm very pleased with the NAD. The Denon is great but it frequently refuses to play.
The one thing I can describe well about the NAD is that it makes some (most) classic rock CDs much more bearable than the Marantz or Rotel did. The NAD is a little more revealing and forward. If you like the Rotel, though, I'd venture to say you would not like the NAD.
Thanks all for the additional responses. Players in the $3K to $5K would simply not be in my budget with a senior in high school heading to college next year !! But would love to have one. Perhaps someday.

Achilles, yes I was considering the NAD M5 and figured that would be a definite upgrade plus it would handle my SACDs as well. Had a chance to purchase one preowned for $1K but didn't do it. I do love the NAD sound as well and actually that was my original brand of CD players and receivers years ago. The Rotel does seem to do a great job with jazz, smooth jazz, etc. NAD perhaps a bit better with classic rock, agreed. May still look at that next time the funds become available. Thanks.
I've also been pretty impessed with the less expensive NAD CD players (and integrated amps).
I was able to find my M5 new for $900 from a dealer who was discontinuing NAD products.
Pdn, have you considered the RCD-1520? My dealer told me it's a big improvement on the 1072 and is a completely different machine.