W4S DAC2 vs Benchmark DAC1 my observation

The thread "Benchmark dac - why such diverging opinions?" inspired me to sell my Benchmark DAC1-HRD last week and give the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 a try... short story... I think the Benchmark is a better piece of equipment.... long story you may like the W4S DAC2 better.

I have a good bit of information to write and it will not all fit into this first post. I will post two parts as I go through the process. The first part will be comparing the toslink which is my preferred input and the second part I will get into details on the USB.

Please note I do not have a preamp and both units were used as a stand alone preamp.
james63
Hi James - very nice writeup.

I have both a W4S - primarily used in my headphone system - and a Benchmark DAC1 USB currently used in my main system, which tends to the bright side. Last weekend I swapped the W4S into my main rig, and found it very appealing (this via USB, against the Benchmark's USB). It had a similar amount of detail, and a nice even balance, but a bit more of a natural sounding vibe to me - voices were a bit more earthy, highs present but not piercing, that kind of thing.

I couldn't leave the W4S there unfortunately - WAF and all that. I think it is an awesome DAC but man, it is rather fugly! ;)

As an aside, I'm going to try out a Wavelength Brick in the big rig - see how that goes.
Have had both. Still have the Wyred.
Benchmark has the enate ability to even make a tube rig sound bright?
Magnumpi205,

I hear what you are saying. If you are sensitive to bright gear you will most likely hate the benchmark. I think the brightness is it's one major flaw.

As for the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 it is growing on me and I have improved the sound will some set up changes. First I toed out my speakers about 15 degrees and that really helped get the soundstage back to where it should be. I also changed interconnects between the DAC and amp which really helped out the bass impact (maybe break-in too?). The leading edge bass impact now sounds very similar to the Benchmark (maybe 95% of the benchmarks). I also removed the grills on my speakers (I keep them on most of the time) which made the highs just a touch more detailed.

I will give it a few months before I decide if I am going to keep the DAC2 longterm but all in all it sound a good bit better than it did the first few days I had it.
Jerico,

I missed your comment before.

I agree with your comment comparing the W4S USB to the Benchmarks USB input:

"It had a similar amount of detail, and a nice even balance, but a bit more of a natural sounding vibe to me - voices were a bit more earthy, highs present but not piercing, that kind of thing."

I think you will fined the same changes if you try the toslink input on the Benchmark. It may not be as extreme as the changes in DACs but I it will defiantly change the sound for the better.

It is too bad the W4S is so ugly but the price is right... Some thing like Bel Cantos look a lot better but I doubt they sound all that different and they cost a lot more. I have never heard the Wavelength Brick but I would like to hear your comments once you get a change to demo it.
Hi James - I did have the Benchmark wired via TOSLINK at one point, but it was a while ago, and my system has changed around since. Originally I had been running it from the output of an Airport Express, which I thought was pretty bad relative to running it direct from my laptop via USB. BUT I never tried running it directly into my laptop via TOSLINK - I honesty never even though of it!

Nowadays I don't use the laptop at all, but use dedicated Mac Minis (2 - one in my living room speaker setup and another in my bedroom headphone rig), both direct via USB.

One of these days I'll dig out my TOSLINK cables and swap around a bit.

How many hours do you have on your W4S? I found mine needed a good amount to open up - I'm probably at around 150-175 hours and it has become very pleasant to listen to.

I should have the Brick in a week or so!