Wyred4Sound Dac-2 vs Preamp and separate DAC

I’m about to upgrade to either the Wyred4Sound DAC-2 to use as a Preamp/Dac or possibly considering a used Classe Audio CP-60 and Wyred4sound DAC-1. If I’m only going to use a CD transport and USB to play lossless files is there any advantage to having the separate Preamp/DAC setup. I would personally think the Dac-2 would be the cleaner path but I’m a little worried about the digital volume control. Any opinions welcome. Preamp also doesn’t have to be Classe but some type of balanced pre along those lines.
r_garland
Thanks! I have little experience with Windows for media services and I am happy to see that this is actually a possibility in Windows. I hope future products / updates from W4S will support USB 2.0 audio out of the box without the proprietary drives.
I just hooked up my W4S DAC-2 outputs direct to my amps via balanced outputs/inputs and installed my Parasound C2 controller using the HT bypass via RCA connections. The W4S DAC-2 works well as a digital preamp and provides clear and crisp sound. The W4S remote is not all that great to use, but a larger universal remote might work better.

Previously, I had the multi-channel C2 processor doubling as stereo preamp and processor and hooked up the DAC-2 (DAC duties only) with the balanced inputs; with the C2 connecting to the amps via balanced cables.

Both ways sound very good, so I'm not sure if I'll return the Controller to preamp duties, or leave the DAC-2 to handling the digital preamp responsibilites. So far, I'd call this install a toss up.
I thought I'd follow-up on this thread as I purchased a McIntosh C48 preamp (that also has a supposedly decent DAC) and have run my Wyred4Sound DAC2 through it. I can say from a preamp perspective, if you listen to music at low volume you are better suited to not use the DAC2 as a preamp. [take the following as you may, as this is only my opinion] The DAC2 sounds "distorted" and muddy at very low volume when using it as a preamp. When you get it above 40 all that goes away. When I connected it to my C48 and set the output at fixed rather than variable, everything cleaned up nicely. So far, I can't attest to the DAC in the C48, but the preamp is nice sounding with the Wyred4Sound DAC2. (I've got other gripes about the C48, but that's not the topic of this thread).

Anyone experience similar issues with the DAC2 preamp at low volume?
if the DAC2 gives up anything to a dedicated preamp, it's low level detail. i've been told that the sweet spot for the DAC in variable output mode is 50-55, which depending on the gain of your system, you might never reach. i've been considering adding an in line attenuator between my DAC2 and power amps to get me closer to the optimal range for normal listening, and reduce the digital attenuation for low level listening.

has anyone else tried this?
50-55 too much gain?? I guess I need to play with the impedance taps on my amps as I have the opposite problem. I have some high Rez stuff that I just can't seem to get enough gain from the DAC2.